Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

2-way etiquette?

What is the polite way to initialize 2-way direct connect?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What is the polite way to initialize 2-way direct connect?

• Chirp first.
    • Send an alert.
    • Just say hi and who you are.
    • Call me on the phone first.

Question

Just wanted to see what others thought on this subject as it has been brought to my attention that some people prefer different things especially on nextel phones.

Some think it is better to send a chirp and wait for a response while others like to send an alert.

While it may not be a problem to just introduce your call and state your name some may feel that is imposing more and distractive.

Not everyone has a nationwide direct connect plan and the cost could be extra for those who don't so it may be cheaper for those concerned to just call instead.

What do you think?

Rod!~

11 answers to this question

I think it is anoying when I am talking to someone in person and someone else starts squacking on the nextel without an alert first. " yoohoo are you there?" I had one of my friends do this once when I was with a customer. He thought I was ignoring him so he started singing and cursing and doing everything he can to try to get my attention. During the whole time I was trying to shut him off and apologizing to the customer.

i used to be a nextel salesrep. As we were always calling the other salesman on our team, the consensus was to send an alert first as we never knew when the other rep was with a customer. an alert says, "i need to talk, call me back when you can." On your phone, you know that the alert was received by the other party and unless your just impatient or have to talk right away, thats the way to go.

I think it is anoying when I am talking to someone in person and someone else starts squacking on the nextel without an alert first. " yoohoo are you there?" I had one of my friends do this once when I was with a customer. He thought I was ignoring him so he started singing and cursing and doing everything he can to try to get my attention. During the whole time I was trying to shut him off and apologizing to the customer.

hahahahahahhah...

hahahahah

I just spit Lipton Green Tea all over my monitor..hahahahha

I personally DESPISE nextel for this very reason. And its the direct connect that keeps me from going nextel. Every bunghole in my area has one it seems. It sends me into fits of rage just to be in a resturant and hear "chirp chirp" in the background.

But my vote is to chirp and wait for a response. If no response, wait 10 minutes and try again. But never just start blasting your potty mouth. If its a friend or business man, you never know were they are and why they didn't respond, so just keep your panties out of a wad and wait. RUnning your mouth to someone who didn't respond only shows what a true idiot you are.

Lucky for me, with Nextel I cannot even stand on my front porch and get a signal. So I have had no choice but to go to a different carrier.

I vote for chirp and wait for a response. If I don't answer, I am busy or just don't want to talk to you. Get a life and use your time better.

Terry

1. Send the chirp, wait 15 seconds,

2. Send an alert - no response, wait 15 minutes and alert again.

All nextels have a queeve log and will show missed calls. If they don't call you back in 15, they are busy or forgot. If they don't answer again, they will see your call and get back to you.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER just start talking and have a conversation. this is the rudest most annoying thing ever. I hate it when people do that. The reason I got rid of nextel, that an lousy service.

I voted for #3 bc with my business contacts I like for them to know who they are talking to when they respond back. They could have 3 Chris's in their contacts lists and not my company name. Also if they do not get right back to me, I know they are busy. I don't want to alert them, bc they may be with a customer and then they have to fiddle with the phone to stop the alert. If its that important I would call that person and leave a message.