Sign in to follow this  
lunatic1464

Anyone a member of BNI??

I got invited to a BNI meeting (Business Networking International)

From what i have read and understand its a group of business people that do nothing but refer within the organization. I have heard rumors that a mature group of 30 or so you get an average of 50-75 solid referals a year.

dues are 300 bucks here so i figured hell one referal and your paid up, Im headn to one of the meetings this morning and was just curious if anyone else is a member and can fill me in on your experience.

thanks

Attended an informational meeting a few years back but never took the dive. As Beth mentioned it could be worth it if you networked. If I remember correctly there was some rules/guidelines that you need to follow...at that time I could no commit to it.

Give it whirl!!!!

From what I remember Mike K posting one time, they said there can only be one of every business in the network. Apparently since the handyman did pressure washing so they told him he couldn't join.

BNI is an excelent networking ooportunity. My strong advice: Don't miss meetings. Its well worth the hour per week. You wil network with other contractors, real estate agents, mortgage brokers and assorted local businesses. The first meeting is free.

BNI is a fantastic thing. I have been a member for about 2 years now and it is really a great organization. I'm actually in one of the largest chapters in the nation, consisting of about 55 members. Ken is right, though, you really need to go to as many meetings as you possibly can and network as much as possible. It's give and take, you really need to give referrals and explain as much as you can to people what it is exactly you do. People in general are stupid, so if they are not exactly sure what you do, you'll get waste of time referrals.

But, if you a member in good standing and give referrals and do it like it should be done, it will pay for itself tenfold. I got a job my second week that paid for 3 years worth of membership. Another word of advice; if you are going to join, make the best of it, otherwise it will not be worth your while. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is thinking about it.

I belong to a Power Core group. Very similiar to BNI but from what I've been told the attendance policy is stricter. Yearly dues are about the same. This has worked well for me and I plan to continue. As others have said you must attend the meetings and you need to follow up on leads you are given quickly. Other members are putting their reputations on the line when they refer you. Follow up and do good work and it should be very beneficial to your business.

I'm a member of BNI. I was referred for a job that would have covered all expenses for 10 years, but I reinvested it otherwise.

Show up refer to others in your chapter and they will refer you as well.

yeah my real problem is that im just part time right now and have a 7-3:30 job. They meet every Wednesday at 7 am so i m not sure ill be able to do this till i go full time, some time next year. But its good to know its there and is a good organization.

Carlos, I was the "designated hitter" at BNI for the last company I worked for.

BNI is a good thing.

A bunch of good people, focused on one thing they enjoy... making money.

Most likely, the best thing about your business is YOU.

Therefore, best that you present yourself for at least most functions.

You will get out of it what you put in, and more.

It's also a bit of a social club, and you will be able to tell within the couple "free" meetings if you will fit in with that group.

The one I attended were great people, intelligent, aggressive, and fun.

I still visit with some of them.

I would advise it, any way you wish to look at it.

r

Wife works as an RN and going to school to be a Nurse Practitinoer so she is out.. but i wonder if my girlfriend would go :) hehe just kidding.

I have to talk to my sponsor here and see if there is somthing we can work out. My sponsor happends to be my Insurance guy also, But i was impressed at the meeting Minus me having to get up and speak in front of 50 people, wow i havent had to do that since High School. I will do it I just dont know when.. thanks for all the good info it just confirms what i thought.

I still belong to Power Core and attend regularly. We have a great group. The newest member is a builder/remodeler. This one contact has given me over $1,000 worth of business in the last few months. One referral in a residential area led to two other jobs from neighbors who saw me working.

If you belong to a good group with the right kind of businesses it can be a great investment of your time. Another benefit is that since I work alone this group has become my business peer group. I get great marketing ideas from them and as business owners you can always learn from these people and use their knowledge as an additional resource for running your business.

BNI has been such a awesome way for me to network my business with other businesses. It has help me to develope friendships in business. I have been a member for around 6 months and have have made well over $2,000 dollars from referrals so far. It's not a lot of money but I expect to see more and more referrals from it. The more referrals you give the more you get.