Sign in to follow this  

Question

I'm am curious to know how other's deck's are doing that had this problem? Have you experenced the finish washing away after a couple of months or are they still in good condition.

21 answers to this question

Can't speak for others, but ours are fine. A few were stripped and resealed. A few needed to be rubbed with spirits. Most we added drier to, and although the dry times still seemed longer than normal they did set up ok.

Beth

I don't understand the brave soul remark? I'm trying to do Quality Control for my customers. Beth , did you strip and put down WTW resurrected( old formula) or did you strip and put down the WTW STAY"S Wet with Japan drier?

Just to touch on a few things here:

-The corrected batch does not separate so if you have pails that show this by looking at the side of them.

-We have not had any complaints ... yet. We received the latest in july and have not had any complaints in the durability to date. All applications have dried well within the first hour of application but just to note, we are using titan sprayers to apply and back padding as needed.

-The corrected batch has not required the need for a drier to be added to induce the correct drying time.

If anyone is experiencing drying issues or have received pails where the product has obviously separated (click link for pic) then you should get this batch replaced. Don't even waste your time trying to follow the "fix" directions as you as a consumer are not obligated to do so. The label directions do not specify such methods and only apply to the application and expected dry time which is 1 1/2 hours to 8 hours depending on humidity and temperatures.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/attachments/wood-cleaning-restoration-decks-fences-etc/7825d1182989906t-wtw-tips-wtwprobs07-001.jpg

Hope this helps.

Rod!~

Im either incredibly lucky or something mythical was going on with those pails. All the pails I used in the last month were seperated. Probably 5 or 6 pails. Haven't had a single drying problem with any of them

Im either incredibly lucky or something mythical was going on with those pails. All the pails I used in the last month were seperated. Probably 5 or 6 pails. Haven't had a single drying problem with any of them

The pails that you ordered from us that were seperated were probably either Brown Sugar or Western Cedar. I believe we have finally sold all of the seperated pails and everything is now the classic formula. The seperated pails did have extra Cobalt added so that is why you probably didn't have any issues with drying.

James.. I'll let you be concerned and yet let my customers not become concerned..:)

..umm hey folks.. WOW! seperation issue may relate to questionable batch?. Maybe I missed it before cause nobody ever brung it up...lol.

I'm out and going spelunking...have good day all..

The pails that you ordered from us that were seperated were probably either Brown Sugar or Western Cedar. I believe we have finally sold all of the seperated pails and everything is now the classic formula. The seperated pails did have extra Cobalt added so that is why you probably didn't have any issues with drying.

Exactly. The issues were in the first batch of the season, not the second or third batch. They were not "mythical" they were real.

Beth

James.. I'll let you be concerned and yet let my customers not become concerned..:)

..umm hey folks.. WOW! seperation issue may relate to questionable batch?. Maybe I missed it before cause nobody ever brung it up...lol.

I'm out and going spelunking...have good day all..

Hey Kevin -

Batch #1, drying problems and visible separation.

Batch #2, more dryer added which helped the drying time, and visible separation so it LOOKED like Batch #1.

Batch#3, doesn't separate out like the other two, and dries normally.

We dated the pails when they arrived, so we have a better idea of which was what.

Beth

I recieved 2 5s of brown sugar from the sealer store this week and applied it yesterday. It applied well and was only the slightest bit oily today but essentially dried well. This batch didnt seperate but this doesnt seem like the same product as last year, It looks the same and brushes well but definately seems thinner and didnt seem to cover as well as last years woodtux.I didnt get near 200 sq ft per gallon.What do you guys think ? frank

I didnt get near 200 sq ft per gallon.What do you guys think ? frank

It was an older dry deck that soaked up more stain. How old was the deck?

Why does what matter Charlie? Not quite fallowing ya.

Perhaps the same as your affirming yours were ok I am just commenting on how long it took for to pin the seperation down to both #1 and #2 batches..

But yea is all water under the bridge now and everyone is satisfied..all is well but for the question that James asks on wear... :)

You were all surprised that the separation was from the "bad batch". I was saying it doesn't really matter if the jobs you did were fine. I think all my decks had separated pails, but apparently it had drier in it.

Oh I see Charlie..thought ya meant something more as if I shouldn't comment..

See I wasn't surprised but rather I was dabbling in sarcasm in that I had posed the question or idea many a time to no fan fare and/or it fell on def ears. Been following it ever since separation pics by Rod. It had never been clarified that the separation should still be there with the temporary fixed #2 batch. Now we're clear from Scott and Beth on that.

I had a few problem with #2 but fixed it with a wipe...(no pun intended).. :)

Well, I know of one specifically, not ipe, it was PT, but it got rained on within about 3 hours and it was fine. Tacky on the steps and rails that were low and close to the ground ( it was humid - no concerns there) but the more elevated areas were fine, and the color held. Didn't have to touch anything up.

Beth

Jim,

We had the, I guess, batch #1 of WoodTux, WHG, applied on vertical ipe' and 4 5/4 x 6 ipe' deck boards for about 8 weeks before stripping it off and putting on the Woodzotic color.

I say batch #1, as the fiver was received with no "separation", and the WT certainly did not cure on ipe' without a lot of time and help. With 4 oz. of Japan Dryer added per gallon, it still took 3 to 4 days to dry on the ipe'.

8 weeks after the stain was applied it looked fine. Also stripped easily at 6 oz. ACR 760 wood stripper to a gallon of water.

Intresting thread. I started to use WTW this year and found no seperation in the two 5's I received. I did notice that there was a color difference between the verticals and horizontals. I only did three decks so far and brushed every inch of them, recently bought a sprayer thank god. All three had color differences. I just touched up the horizontals and they look real good. Customers were very happy. WTWWWW- WTW Will Work Wonders, I really like this stuff. I still pull out my moisture meter from time to time to give the costomers a show, they seem to be impressed.

I'm am curious to know how other's deck's are doing that had this problem? Have you experienced the finish washing away after a couple of months or are they still in good condition.

Jim,

There were three decks I did with the "bad batch". The first was a 12,000 sq ft job I did with my brother in the early spring up in the mountains where it was a little cooler. A quarter of the way through the job we were advised to add jap dry to help in the curing process. The other Two jobs were done a little further down south in late spring. I was told that the "new formula" was designed to be applied in hot weather, so I didn't add any jap dry to those two jobs being that it was hot (one ipe, one pt pine). Within three months all three jobs were looking like they needed to be done again, sooner for the ipe. The only job that has been redone was the late spring pt pine (6,000 sq ft). The others are scheduled for late Fall. The ipe is starting to get black mold growing on half the boards, and the 12,000 square foot job looks like sh!+. I wish I could have don't the restains sooner but we can't due to logistics.

The one restain I did was really simple. I used a light bleach and soap mix to kill any mold that might have started growing on the sticky wood, let it dwell, then lightly rinsed. The next day I stained. The wood only took about a quarter of the stain initially used. It's been three months since I restained that deck and it still looks like the day I redid it.

Not looking forward to the other two.

What has been your experience?

Christian