Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

My first nightmare project

Question

Here is a gazebo and dock I just finished. The test spot on the floor I did came up nice so I went ahead and bid it. unfortunately the verticles and overhanging plywood were a nightmare. 3 seperate strips with full strength HD80 boosted with glycol and extra SH beads. then I had to use a paint stripper and then sand. Overhead sanding with a Makita is very tiring, especially in 97deg heat!!

the worst part was that every single place where the wood joined was caulked! Inside and outside. the stain absolutely would not come off the caulk even with the BIX or scraping or sanding.

In some areas I just cut it out, like the overhangs, and where it was really bad I just skimmed it with a cedar color caulk. the rest I just said the hell with it and gave up.

post-4622-137772186122_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772186127_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772186154_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772186173_thumb.jpg

4 answers to this question

Finished with 70 hours in this, not to mention it was 1 1/2 hours from my house. 9 days when I had planned 4-5

Stained with Bakers cedar gold/dark mix.

I liked the product alot. very easy to apply with sureflo. But I was disappointed that it wasnt more of a semi transparent that I thought it would be. I was hoping to hide the old stain in the joints and nail holes that I couldnt get out.

But the customer was thrilled! and I got paid. Yeah!!!!

post-4622-13777218624_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772186259_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772186277_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772186296_thumb.jpg

Jon, I feel for you, man. I've been there many times. I've found using a suite of different products can up the chances of getting the crappy stuff off. Call sometime and I'll share.

BTW, just stripped one coat of white acrylic deck paint, one of green paint, and one of green solid stain off a deck, posts, and rails. Went a bit long, due to the heat, but staining finishes tomorrow. I'll post pics.