Sign in to follow this  
Chris S

Anyone working out of a van?

Question

This may not be the appropriate forum, so if a mod. wants to move it, go ahead...

A friend of mine has a great deal on an E-150 work van. I am considering buying it, but I am a little skeptical about using it to work out of. Does anyone have van set-ups that you could post pics of? How could I manage my chem. and gasoline storage? How could I secure a skid unit?

12 answers to this question

Its very tight. Portables are best but skid with the right dimensions will fit longways at the back. If you do a lot of wood, vans are fine. Housewashes and concrete, not so good because you may want surface cleaner, hot water, extension poles, etc.

He just informed me that it's and Econoline XL, so that will definitely help. I think the space will be OK, but I just can't picture a good way to secure equipment and hosereels.

Beth,

By looking at pics of the Sprinter, it looks like a 3/4 ton van with a high roof. Is that correct? Is the high roof what makes it so great? What kind of setup/equipment do you have in it? How is it mounted? Do you have equipment all the way up to the rear of the front seats, or is there room for additional passengers?

It has actually a 3800lb cargo capacity (1.9 tons) Slightly wider, taller and more spacious than a regular van plus it runs on diesel.

You can get it in 2 different heights but we do not recommend the higher one as these vehicles tend to have entry problems in low overhead areas and frequently are raked by tree branches in neighborhoods in the regular height version like we have. Still plenty of room to work in even for a guy my height (6'/2").

The pw'er unit is mounted at the rear with all exhausts directed out the back door. A square 185gal tank mounted mid axle and the 3-stack hose reel mounted just behind the drivers seat. Plenty of room with a 3/4" plywood table built atop the tank with shelves on the side for assorted frequently used items (gloves, masks, tips, nozzles etc.)

Our pw'er weighs in at about 800lbs with the fuel and water in the system, plus around 450lbs for the 4 hose reels including the water in the hose lines and 185 gal tank which weighs 200 lbs + when filled weighs 8lbs/gal X 185gals = 1480lbs.

All total, 2930lbs before passenger and driver and the springs don't even sag at that capacity. It's a tough van.

See Dirt Run! - Mobile restoration unit - from the back - Powered by PhotoPost

I don't have a recent photo on my HD of the latest additions like a hose reel on the table top for the sprayer mounted to the wall and a recharging system for the battery. We had bulkheads installed to protect the outer walls of the van and all of the cargo area is lined with Herculiner to help protect it from water and chemical damage.

Rod!~

I'm probably switching to Sprinters next year.

Chris, machine at back, reels out the side door mounted at about a 45 degree angle. I use RapidReels in mine cause they are slimmer. Not the best reel but I have had no problems with two vans setup this way. For reserve (more of a float) I have a 35 gallon little square tank between the reels and the machine. When I go over to the yard, I'll snap some pics.

I have a 1995 box truck for commercial and for resi-washes.

i'm using a 98 chevy express van. fortunately i bought it with a ladder rack already installed along with shelves over the rear wheel housing. another bonus was a parts bin where i keep my nozzles, tools, fittings, and alot of other essentials. i looked at utility trucks first and realized that i needed a van so i could secure my equipment. i'm able to carry my surface cleaners, extension poles, and chemicals with no problems. drawbacks? naturally shc is caustic and needs to be vented. since i pull my rig behind me i don't have any room for my chemical tank but inside the van (when i am doing roofs). i keep the windows open for proper circulation but i am always dependent on the weather for this. i've weighed the options and to me a van is what I need.

rando

Actually had 2 vans a long long time ago. 1st one was a bright yellow looking type school van. Removed all the seats in the back and had plenty of space for equipment storage. This was back when we were applying cold water.

A van is a good start but as you grow you will definately need to make adjustments!!

I use 1999 F-350 ford van/hydrualic lift bucket .28ft vertical lift (bottom of bucket)35ft working height. I LOVE IT..100ft 5/8 chem hose for roofs,pumped by elec-pump 5gpm flow.28-30ft spray. carry 65gl/chem tank, & room for spare SH in 5's,(days supply)2 man ppe,safetyharnesses ,respiraters,gloves,boots ,1st aid kit etc. tool-box. 4gpm/3000psi coldwater PW/with mounted reel & 100' h-pwr hose.200ft premium rubber 5/8 rinse hose. m5-Xjet(good piece of eqpt)2 wands/plus 18ft ext (never used it yet) Van has 110 elec(seldem use),ladder rack/32ft alum-ext ladder. only used ladder twice this year! I installed 3/4in plywood full floor over rubber flooring to have something to bolt to when needed.(designed to remove for cleaning whenever needed)yet locks in place for solid floor. Fully loaded w/chems weighs out @ 10,000lbs. I carry NO water. use customers water & elec.carry all necessary items for Roofs/house wash. Have 20in surface cleaner when needed.Yep, it's FULL all the time, however; IT WORKS !!! Still looking options for stronger pump range.Jimbo

jimbo's just pulling your leg...i've seen his rig. it's an old vw bug with a bucket on the top (i think it holds 5 gallons). he's got one of those 1000 psi karcher electric pressure washers and 50 ft of hose from big lots. he washes most houses for 49.95 and never buys deodorant. but...he's my friend, and a good one at that. keep up the good work jimbo!

rando