Sign in to follow this  
dpaull

Florida guys (or other "warmer" areas south)...

Question

Just curious how the winter is for you all down there. I realize things slow down but I'm sure commercial is always hopping and never really come to a complete halt.

Anyway, my friend and I are tossing around the possibility of heading down for the winter to see what happens.

He does mainly seal coating and line striping and I've been doing it with him, so we'd be looking to move that operation down there for the winter...

Anyone happen to know how that works in your particular area during the winter...things still booming, commercial-wise or residential-wise?

It's either that or just go on a few cruises or maybe head to Cancun to check out some white sand and rest...we haven't decided yet.

10 answers to this question

Go on the cruise or head to cancun.

Because we can work year round, were saturated with PW companies. There is always room for good companies, but be prepared to be shocked at the difference in rates. Shocked I say. and a little dismayed.

Most FL contractors will tell ya that June, July and August are actually their slowest months of the year. November and December are usually pretty busy for me, but things slow down somewhat after that until March.

yeah...sounds good...We've got a couple larger pwashing contracts down in NC coming up in October...plan on seeing how that goes...maybe take a detour and try to secure some seal coating work. I just wonder how the mom and pop shops are down there as far as seal coating and line striping goes.

Around here, if you can still make out something that slightly resembles a parking spot, most don't even want to think about it. I hate that...if I had a brick and mortar business, I'd be all about making it look good.

I am around the Gainesville area and from what I have seen, businesses are not that concerned with stripping their parking lots. The ones that do have regular contractors they have used for many years. Most only go through Property Management Companies and they have there own companies to do it on call. Hugh

Pittsburgh area? I've got the same climate in Massachusetts. We plow snow in the winter. Honstly I hate the job but the money is HUGE.

I used to live near you. Ever hear of Steubenville, Ohio?

Yeah, thanks.

Yeah I know where Stubenville is...Out near Robinson, right? Maybe up 22/30?

--

I'd look into plowing, but I know the businesses around here all open at 7AM and there's no way I'm getting up at 5 to have them cleared by 7...just not me lol. Plus, I only have a 07 F150, I'd need a F250 or 350 to plow I would assume.

I thought about residential snow removal, but I've heard some pretty bad stories about guys getting sued because technically you're supposed to be making their surfaces clean and slip-free, and insurance companies may consider this "bad workmanship" and not cover it...not sure if it's something I'd feel like getting involved with.

I regret buying the F150 just about every day. Of course it's decked out, moon roof, FX4 package, and so on...coulda bought a decent F250 for the same price and maybe got manual windows, etc...oh well, live and learn.

--

I've actually got a huge run coming up for about 20 days straight I'll be out working. From New York, Mass, PA, DC, and NC...I figure I can either sit pretty for the winter or invest in something, just not sure what yet.

Yup, that's where Steubenville is.

Residental plowing is the worst, absolute worst. Tey want the drives plowed early morning so they can get out for work, then the city plows the end ot the drives in again so you have to do your route twice. Cars block the dirveways, clear sidewalks, etc. I cant think of a worse job. The only driveway I plow is my own. If I happen to make eye contact with my neighbors while they are using a shovel I have to do theirs too.

Commercial lots are much easier, mostly sitting in the truck listining to Jimmy Buffet drinking hot coffee.

I use a newer 3/4 ton Silverado. It's a great truck for plowing and towing our boat. Oh, tows the powerwash trailer too. (I guess that's what I bought it for.) Last truck was a half ton but that was too small.

Eric