Sign in to follow this  
spraybrothers

New to the Business

Question

Hello everybody I'm getting a Powerwashing and deck restoration business started I've been planning this for the last two years and I finally feel comfortable enough to have it up and running in March of 08, I will be starting part time until I finish my tour with the Coast Guard in 09 then if everything goes as I expect it to go I will be turning full time. I'm just looking for ne advise as far as equipment I should and should not invest in I also did some reserch and found that 1.25sqft is a decent price to set for cleaning and sealing a deck if you have ne thing you think I should know please feel free to set me straight.

4 answers to this question

What's your name shipmate?

I am ex-Navy and welcome to the TGS.

If you could please go back to where you filled in all your information when you registered and let us know what your name is.....see you when you surface again!!!!!!

Deck restoration can be very profitable. That was all we used to do in the past prior to what we do now and made a good living at it. National average tends to be more at $2.00 to 2.25 per sq ft. for cleaning and sealing. There are many ways to price your work and I encourage you to investigate all and pick what works best for you. Some ways contractors price are by; time and material; sq ft of everything; sq ft of floor, linear ft of rails, how many steps with, or without rails; (is there a "suck" factor? add more for certain situations); etc.... There are many places to get training. Books are available, as are classroom settings. These can be very helpful for start-up businesses. It's easy to do the work; it can be a bit more involved when running the business side. Using the materials offered can leap you ahead of your compitition by being consistante in pricing, knowing how to give specials without diminishing value, bidding, and being efficent at getting the project done, all resulting in profit! Most wood guys I know get into the biz because they like the art of what they do. Just keep in mind that if you are going to make a living at it, it does have to be run like a business. Have fun, and keep asking, your on the right track!

The first thing you should probably get square on is measuring. $1.25 per s/f for EVERY INCH of wood is reasonable in our market. $1.25 per s/f for the floor (and including rails, spindles, fascia, steps etc) is ridiculous.

A good way for you to get started would be to charge $1.50 s/f for the floor plus $6 for every linear foot of rail. Factor in 20%-50% extra for decks over 6 ft, surrounded by plants etc.

Welcome to the board (and the neighborhood). I don't do a ton of work in the city but if you want to contact me when you are up and running I can probably throw some stuff your way.