Sign in to follow this  
douseahouse

washing a stained house

Question

well i have a house to wash this week and to tell you the truth it's the first one that i have ever come across that is stained. i washed a vinyl house in the past that had a child's playground in the backyard. the playground had a redwood stain and being the nice guy that i am i washed it at no charge. guess what? the stain came off. guess who had to restain it? you're right, me. on the playground i used my standard house wash mix but i'm just assuming that it was just cheap stain. do i need to look out for anything on this stained house? i'm not sure if it's latex or oil base. does it matter?

again i thank you guys,

rando

9 answers to this question

I wash stained homes all the time, using my standard housewash mix, with great results. I downstream my mix on solids and semi's with no problems. Inform the customer that you can not guarantee that there is stain under the "dirty" areas. I have found heavy green areas to hide bare spots.

P.S. Did you get a call recently from someone looking to have a house washed in Fayetteville?

Rick I'm guessing since Randy already has the job he bid it as a housewash not a strip and seal (ie $400 versus $4000).

Randy, my advice is to do a very small area and let it dry before you proceed to the whole house. Show the homeonwer what he/she can expect. A properly disgruntled homeowner can hit you for a whopper bill or insurance claim. Be careful.

smart move ken, i will definitely follow that lead. john, when you wash houses with stain do you use hot or cold? and yes, i did get a call on a house wash and the homeowner mentioned your name but the house was in raleigh. raleigh is about an hour and a half away from me. i called him back and left a message but he never called back. thanks anyway for thinking of me.

thanks,

rando

Cold water works fine. Here's a link to my website with pics of a stained house and fence. As I recall, it was washed with cold water.

The keys to successfully washing stained siding are: chems; application method and amount of pressure used. Your normal housewash solution will work fine, downstreaming works fine and never use any pressure! (Shooter and a 4040.)