Sign in to follow this  
Scott Paul

Cedar House Restoration

Question

Here is some pictures of our in progress Cedar House Restoration. We cleaned the entire 5500 square foot house with the PowerSolve DSI stripper and brightener. The failed coating was TWP from about 6 years ago. The cleaning went very smoothly and was completed in about 7 hours. We started staining today with Wood Tux "Classic" and should be done either Friday or Monday. The Cedar is "clear" with no knots at all.

Here is some cleaned pictures....

post-948-137772187455_thumb.jpg

post-948-137772187459_thumb.jpg

post-948-137772187463_thumb.jpg

post-948-137772187467_thumb.jpg

26 answers to this question

NICE!!..7hr clean on something like that means good equipment and efficient crew..Downstreamed or no? Any defurring or sanding involved?. Any protections for the windows or surroundings during the clean part?

...Bet you just itchin to be back up there 5 rungs from the peak hu? :)

NICE!!..7hr clean on something like that means good equipment and efficient crew..Downstreamed or no? Any defurring or sanding involved?. Any protections for the windows or surroundings during the clean part?

...Bet you just itchin to be back up there 5 rungs from the peak hu? :)

Thanks. We only used 1 person for the entire wash, no need to have more then that. We downstreamed the entire project with the DSI PowerSolve Stripper and Brightener. No sanding or defurring was needed. We tested the window trim for a reaction with the cleaners. Nothing happened so we did not protect the trim, just constantly rinsed. The same with the landscaping.

Hey - you guys look like a painting crew in those photos! I got a colonial coming up with 36' peak - interested? LOL.

I sub-contracted out the house staining to a painting crew company that has been buying from us for many years. They love ladders for some reason. We did all the cleaning and we will stain the decks.

It would be good if people building nice homes would run underground power!

r

It was a little scary hanging a metal cage from the boom lift over the wires and shooting a few hundred gallons of water on the house. That's why you want to have Worker's Comp.

It was a little scary hanging a metal cage from the boom lift over the wires and shooting a few hundred gallons of water on the house. That's why you want to have Worker's Comp.

You said it! Coverage is important.

Paul, the house looks fabulous.

Beth

We are now doing the neighbor's house. I'm curious to what other people would charge for this. The HO thought I was to high in price but accepted the proposal. The details are as follows:

4800 square feet of wood siding.

600 feet of decking

Price includes Stripping, Brightening, and Staining with Wood Tux. The Wood Tux will be airless sprayed and immediately back brushed for a "wet on wet" application. There will be no need for sanding or defurring the wood. The 60' lift will be included in price and cost $600 for the first day and $300 per day after. We personally are only using the lift for the washing.

I think he got a good deal from me and I wouldn't be surprised if many of you would have charged way more.

post-948-137772187648_thumb.jpg

post-948-137772187652_thumb.jpg

post-948-137772187655_thumb.jpg

post-948-137772187659_thumb.jpg

Scott, You didn't say how much..

oh and which wtw is the first house?

All of the previous "stained" pictures are of the same wtw house that we finished today. We will be starting the neghbor's house in a week or so.

Price quoted was:

$2.00 per foot for the house = $9600

$1.50 per foot for the deck = $900

We will only need the lift for 1 day. This price includes all materials and labor,

Scott, sorry I meant what color was the first house..

On the price.. is good to hear I am neither high nor low :)

But hey tell me this..Did you just do linear measure at an estimated height to come to tot sq. ft. or did ya use the full on triangular fancy math for the peaks?... that first one looks hard to estimate footage.

Scott, sorry I meant what color was the first house..

On the price.. is good to hear I am neither high nor low :)

But hey tell me this..Did you just do linear measure at an estimated height to come to tot sq. ft. or did ya use the full on triangular fancy math for the peaks?... that first one looks hard to estimate footage.

Honey Gold. 20 gallons were used for the house.

Honestly I use the linear measurement and guess the height.

It's funny Scott, in New England - if that house was painted. And I had to pressure wash, scrape, sand, spot prime, caulk, 2 coats of paint - and asked 10g's - people would think I was ridiculous. Goes to show where the painting industry has gone. More than anything - I like how doing decks and coming to these forums - has me more focused on surface area - and figuring out how much per sq.ft. my costs should be. I wish everyone in the coatings industry would focus on sq.ft. costs. Anyways - love the job. Just curious how do you estimate sq.footage for decks with railings/balusters/skirt boards? Do you use Russel's method?

Just curious how do you estimate sq.footage for decks with railings/balusters/skirt boards? Do you use Russel's method?
In our area it is very competitive with the $99 guys. While I never charge that way I do have to lower my rates. We charge by the square footage of the horizontals only. For upper levels we will count the steps and landing in the square footage. We also have a minimum of $400 for any deck under 250 feet with rails. $1.50 per foot if they have railings using TWP 100 series. We get an extra $.30 per foot if using Wood Tux. We are considered medium to high in our area. I would like to charge more and do less, but unfortuantely it will not be possible until our local economy turns around.

We are now doing the neighbor's house. I'm curious to what other people would charge for this. The HO thought I was to high in price but accepted the proposal. The details are as follows:

4800 square feet of wood siding.

600 feet of decking

Restoration $10,800.00

Material $1437.60

Deck $810.00 plus $4.25 per lin foot of rail.

This would have been the initial bid. Guessing about $13,500 with the deck rails (if any). Depending on the time of the year and how busy we were I could see doing it in the $10k range.

How long did it take you to complete that Scott? Looks like 4 maybe 5 days or so for a 2 man crew.

2nd house looks great, too!

This stripper can be downstreamed?

Tell me more...

What did you neutralize with?

r

Pictures really prove a product, don't they?

The PowerSolve DSI (Down Stream Injectable) Products are designed to be downstreamed. The Stripper is a high concentraion of Sodium Hydoxide with the ability to cling to verticals very well. We downstream with an 15:1 injector. The DSI brightener is also a high concentration of Citric/Oxalic acids.

We spent 8 Hours total cleaning this 2nd House with one Washer. We used more chemicals then the first house since it was so dirty.

Chemicals used:

PowerSolve DSI Stripper: 8 Gallons

PowerSolve DSI Brightener: 8 Gallons