Sign in to follow this  
vlad

engine problem

HELP with engine

I have problem with 20hp Honda . When engine cold , starts good, runs for about 40-50 sec. And stops , starts again runs for little longer and stops.

I have to do that for 6-8 times, then runs good. don’t have this problem when engine is worm.

All filters , plugs are new.

Is there problem with fuel pump or something else?

I don’t know how old is pw , both used.

Thanks. Vlad.

Sounds like there may be a problem with the engine getting fuel somehow...If it's run by a fuel pump, I'd say start there. If it's a carb where the vacuum feeds the fuel to the carb, then I'd say you have a vacuum leak. Basically it's running until the fuel that's sitting in the carb is used up, then it stops.

It doesn't sound like anything with the carb, but it probably wouldn't hurt to get a rebuild kit...sometimes if a gasket in the carb bowl is leaking, it can cause it to not get fuel.

That's my guess...not great with small engines, but I've fixed enough...I'm normally better when I can play with the engine in person though.

You said new filters, so does that include the fuel filter that sits half way under the air cleaner housing? The hose that runs from the filter to the fuel pump is very short and weak. If you were to have pulled a little to hard when changing that filter, it may be pinched. When it gets a little warm it softens up and allows enough flow to keep it running.

Pull the little plate that says "20hp" from the front of the engine. It is small and black and held with two screws. You can then see the hose and the tight loop that it makes, and determine if it is pinched, without pulling the entire air cleaner assembly.

Also check your wires. This engine has a Fuel cut off solenoid attached to the Carb under the air filter. If your battery connections have corrosion the wire will not get juice all the time and the solenoid will cut off intermitantly.

Oil level also controls this solenoid. Replace the fuel filter. You don't have to buy a Honda filter one from the auto parts store will work fine. Also try running the engine without the air filter for a min to see if that is the problem. If it runs fine without the Air filter then you found the problem.

Thanks for help.

Oil level was low.on the end of stick . I had oil changed 50-60 hr. agow

had level at batom mark, is engine using to much oil?

added some oil , starts and runs good.I hope that was the problem.

thanks . Vlad