Sign in to follow this  
n4rb

Bleach + Water on Vinyl?

Question

Hey everybody, I know its been a while since I have posted, but I have a quick questions about Vinyl Sidings on homes.

If I wash one, how well would it work if I mix 50/50 standard bleach and water?

Or can anybody give me some tips on how to mix it? Thank you for any advice.

11 answers to this question

How are you going to apply it? That is the most important element when deciding how to mix your housewash. If you are using an x-jet, 50/50 would work with 6% bleach. If you are downstreaming, you would have to use it un-diluted and you would still have some troublesome spots of mildew/ and mold that would need a re-application.

The problem with using bleach without a surfactant is that the bleach can stay behind leaving little visible evidence and cause oxidation to begin on the vinyl.

I would use a mild detergent to add surface action and a rinse aid to help get it all off.

Oxidation from chemical residue is the applicators liability and playing devils advocate here, could cost you a whole new house residing to remedy the problem.

Rod!~

You also should have synergistic chemicals (sodium metasilcate and tri sodium phosphate are a couple) that are synergstic with sodium hypochlorite and allow you to lower the amount of "bleach" you have to use. Plus the caustics break the bond of jet fuel and carbon making cleaning up high a bit easier.

I use the M5 XJet. I just don't know the correct amount of mixture I should use for mold & mildew to come off the easiest. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

In a fiver, I would use 2 gal of 12.5%SH, 12oz of Simple Cherry(soap from ptek store), and fill the rest with water. You will have to play with your portioners to get the correct ratio with your machine. Some guys with 5.5gpm rigs don't even use a portioner.

Also Walmart sells a 7 gal blue container in the camping section for around $10.00 and it has a cap on it. Just cut a hole so the x jet hose runs thru the lid. It is a lot better than a 5er.

give Lance Blalock of energen in charleston a call 843-556-6506 he sells a house wash that u mix with bleech it works good I use it downstreaming or x-jetting or check out envirospec they ship in powder they have a good line of chems also u can give me a call I have some more names

I mix my chemical a little differently then most but add the soap to the bleach and it will come out clean with little effort. Be careful of the soap, ask Tom at ACR he used me for a couple of experiments and I can say you do not want to use certain soaps. Also do not use to much Bleach it will kill flowers. So good Luck!

AJ,

In reference to your questions, did you read that I use a 7 gal jug instead of a five, for my Xjet. I have tried 8-10 oz of SC and it doesn't seem to mask the smell of chlorine (12OZ WORKS MUCH BETTER). I am not sure exactly why I need 2 gals of 12.5%, but I am sure it has to do with the portioner that I use. My machine is a 5.6gpm/35oopsi rig, and this set up works great for me. Any less 12.5% and I usually have to reapply chemical several times to remove the algae.

I have been using this ratio all year and haven't had one complaint about killing plants. I water before and after everytime.

RJ

I am curious about what Ken said and jet fuel - why is there jet fuel on vinyl siding?

I'm sure he was referring to carbon buildup due to airport proximity.