Sign in to follow this  
Stuart Nabors

replacing wood sections on aggregate driveways

Question

Has anyone replaced the 2 X 4's that fill what I guess I'd call the expansion joints on aggregate driveways? I have a customer who wants a couple of them replaced, but I've never done it. I'm wondering what holds them in place....the friction between the sections? or something else? also, could pvc be used instead of wood? what would you charge? thanks!

9 answers to this question

Has anyone replaced the 2 X 4's that fill what I guess I'd call the expansion joints on aggregate driveways? I have a customer who wants a couple of them replaced, but I've never done it. I'm wondering what holds them in place....the friction between the sections? or something else? also, could pvc be used instead of wood? what would you charge? thanks!

I've see some round sponge type material that comes like rolled up.You scrape out all the wood in between the concrete and use some type glue then push in the spongy stuff to fill in the crack.

I am with shane on this one, the material between the concrete needs to be flexible otherwise it can contribute to cracking and buckling.

Check in with your local box store and see what the stuff is called.

my .02

Rod!~

I am with shane on this one, the material between the concrete needs to be flexible otherwise it can contribute to cracking and buckling.

Check in with your local box store and see what the stuff is called.

my .02

Rod!~

This is the stuff i found

concretefiller.jpg

I have seen the foam stuff Shane posted installed in the expansion joints in buildings by some of my high-rise friends. Not sure what the process is for that though, you would think you would install it and then caulk over the top of it. I can't imagine the foam holding up to sunlight and the elements for very long.

Out here the wood is a 2 x 2 vs a 2 x 4. They are insterted during the concrete pour for the driveway and anchored in with nails. What holds the wood in place is that the concrete dries around the nails thus keeping the wood in place.

We've replaced them in the past but does require some work. The bad thing of it is that you will not find a piece of wood that will exactly match the "groove" area that you are trying to fill. Another issue is that when you remove the old piece of wood you will need to make sure that whatever is anchoring them is removed also. It is actually a pain in the you know what to do. As far as price - between 150-200 bucks a joint if you are going to put new wood in.

There is a product (don't remember the name) that we use to fill in over foam expansion joints around pools. It is grey in color and is applied through a caulking gun. Goes on wet but when it is dry it is like rubber almost. Home Depot does carry this and you can find it in the concrete section!

If I had used redwood for expansion joints in concrete it would have been 2 x 4 with 8d galv nails in pairs, (1 each side) every 16" or so, to hold the board down in the concrete.

If something like that has been done, I suppose you could use a nail-cutting blade in a circular saw, then a sawzall with a metal cut blade.

Probably need to glue in new stuff.

r