Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

one day small deck

Question

this 3 months old deck is stained with WHG. gotta love being able to do a deckaday.

inside the screen is the deck I did for him 3 years ago with Cabots oil toner. It held up surprisingly well. The builder used some of the rails and the steps and I had to strip them.

post-4622-137772189083_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772189108_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

Nice work

Do yall not have regulations for railing height and spindle spacing?

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the height of the railing. Seems somewhat useless, almost like a DIY job. Nice work though Jon.

Ironically the only episode of that show I ever watched showed them wanting to build a composite deck with the low rails like that and it would not pass code. That definitely looks like a DIY special.

Jon, great job. Those deck in a day deals do rock.

This is florida guys. land of the unlicenced contractor!

Actually it was built by a carpenter who has done a lot of work in the subdivision. His work is top notch compared to some of the decks Ive seen. Built for around $1200. I have no Idea what the code is, but code enforcement is very slight. and you can get away with just about anything here unless a competitor reports you.

I actually had a property appraiser tell me that I could do pavers on my pool and not get bumped in the taxable value "IF I DIDNT GET A PERMIT."

I sorta like it and think it looks fairly kick.. :)

Height of rail matches into the house screened porch well to allow HO to see over it from that area and if they do stick chairs out there they can put feet up on rail. Toddlers can ride their big wheels around on it without worry of falling off.

Might as well have made it even shorter though so people don't try sitting on it...a wrap around sitable situation that achomplishes all would be nice.

Here in CA railing only required if deck is 30" off ground.

Baluster spacing would be to prevent 4" ball from passing through.

Pictured deckrail is decorative, but people gonna SIT on it!

r