Sign in to follow this  
jnoden

ready seal on blacktop driveway

Question

I used canvas but the overspray was bad enough that it coated part of the drive way and when I removed the canvas you could see where it layed because all around where the canvas layed it was dark from the ready seal over spray.

I was thinking of using warm water to see if it would even things out a little but I am feeling a little doubtfull about it. Im not sure if I should use chems or not since the blacktop has oils in it. Anyone else have this problem before?

13 answers to this question

Hopefully the asphalt and Ready Seal (being oil based) will pull into each other. I am guessing that the RS did not discolor other than making it look darker????????

Maybe you are on the right track with warm water as the other chems we would normaly use ( more than likely) break down the asphalt.

Might try the warm water with soap surfactant and stiff bristle it for a while to see what happens.

yeah thats what I was thinking of doing. Yeah it just made it look a lot darker. I think if I misted the whole driveway with ready seal it would look better than before but I told him i will try washing it.

And you don't get major discoloration from the goof off? Are we talking about asphalt or concrete? I have found that everything from mineral spirits to stripper to hydrogen peroxide discolors driveways. Forget about if you get silicone from Armor All on it.

I thought about spraying the rest of the driveway with ready seal. I think the darker color looks better seeing that the driveway is about ready for a recoat anyway.

I was thinking about goof off also since that stuff works well on removing it from other substrates but I was also worried about using it on asphalt. has anyone else used goof off on asphalt?

I will recoat the driveway if needed but i really want to avoid that if possible.

I would do a test area to find out , I have used it on concrete. The thing is to get the RS out as soon as possible . If you let it sit it's that much harder to remove. As far as asphalt I think that it would leave a dark stain after applying the goof. But it is only asphalt.

Never gotten stain on asphalt before. What it do Ken?..it just goes into it and becomes part of it?

If it were just crete pretty much anything will take off fresh stain whether it parafinnic or curing. My two favorites are the purple power and then that red label grease cutting stuff at HD. Is abit better actually for the curing stain but foget name of it right now...

But I don't understand Jim.. what situation you into or what spray equipment ya using that causes this problem. What if there was cars around or the stuff got on someone elses property. Seems to me ya got do something in way of equipment changes or adjustment. My small experience with the ReadySeal told me that it was very friendly as far not having hardly any overspray. I've sprayed pergolas with it using hvlp without even tarping the patios...

I do not get it on cars or siding. I use a process that minimizes the risk of this happening. This deck was unusal in that it was built by the home owner over top his garage doors and over the parking area. I layed canvas down but underestimated how far it would travel so I should have covered the whole driveway. I used less masking because the wind was blowing away from the house and towards a field with nothing in between. Live and learn.

Kevin and his damn theories LOL.. just teasing you Kev. Any type of oil stain hitting it makes the asphalt darker. It happens.. drips from a sprayer line.. drips from a brush.. overspray that catches a a funky updraft and just floats away. Sometimes you think you have tarped enough area and you miscalculate. You don't do it often but like I said, it does happen. You end up with the demarkation (sp) line where tarp met driveway.

For situations like this I keep the area wet with water. I do alot of Garage doors and this works the best. I had a small bucket go airborne(20mph winds) that was on top of cardboard and spill on assfault. A wonderful sight to view from your truck!

funny word in that "demarkation" Ken...haha..Can picture it..hell I done it on crete before like most anyone else has. Makes me want to throw down some sawdust or blow the lawn leaves onto the drive first.. :)

Oh that red label stuff for crete is of course none other than the crud cutter...forgot the name due to brain lapse/fopah.