Sign in to follow this  
dperrin

Winter & Deck Restoration

Question

As temperatures begin to fall I was wondering how cold can it get before I might have issues restoring decks? I would be using HD80 and WTW. I am in Atlanta so a good cold day in Feb would be around 45 during the day and in the low 20s at night. What issues might I run into if I were to work in temps just above no-go.

6 answers to this question

You shouldn't stain when the night time temps are below 40. The daytime highs should be in the 50's+. The stain will not penetrate, may cure very slowly (if at all) and when the wood contracts at night, it will squeeze out whatever you put into it.

Just sit back, relax, and watch reruns of Gilligan's Island until spring comes back!

:lol: I like that one.

You can also look into Flood's penetrol to help get it into the wood better and possibly the emulsabond to help with the cure.

some may disagree but we have applied in the 40's and have had successful applications with out much issue except in areas where the deck to ground clearance is less than 2'. It stayed tacky until the next day and some of the product cured on the surface with a shiney finish. Everywhere else was not a problem.

Rod!~

I knew you'd like that one Rod, I had someone at the roundtable meeting swipe some of John T's special 'ambien' pills and mail them to me. They're definitely a trip - that will make you come up with some silly thoughts - hee hee. Anyways I can kind of understand you on the penetrol - although I never understood what exactly are the ingredients apart from regular thinner? But the reference to emulsabond - I have absolutely no clue where you came up with that idea? Isn't that Floods additive for latex paints that will make it stick to chaulky/problematic surfaces w/out a need to prime? Perhaps Rod - you took some of John's ambien pills as well? Hee hee - maybe you were thinking of Jap drier?

You can still seal with the Ready Seal.... the only problem is getting the wood dry enough :)

We have 3 decks prepped that are a week old now. As soon as it warms up to the 50's again we're sealing them :) We may have to throw another coat on them come spring though depending on how much they absorb.

I knew you'd like that one Rod, I had someone at the roundtable meeting swipe some of John T's special 'ambien' pills and mail them to me. They're definitely a trip - that will make you come up with some silly thoughts - hee hee. Anyways I can kind of understand you on the penetrol - although I never understood what exactly are the ingredients apart from regular thinner? But the reference to emulsabond - I have absolutely no clue where you came up with that idea? Isn't that Floods additive for latex paints that will make it stick to chaulky/problematic surfaces w/out a need to prime? Perhaps Rod - you took some of John's ambien pills as well? Hee hee - maybe you were thinking of Jap drier?

Emulsabond has a potential to help like a primer does. Better adhesion.

It was just a suggestion.

Rod!~

Sorry, ambien doesn't work for me, Beth just whacks me on the head...works like a charm!