Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Post VOC law 2005 sealer changes

How did the 2005 VOC law changes effect sealers an stains?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How did the 2005 VOC law changes effect sealers an stains?

• Oils are nowhere near what they used to be
    • Oils are almost as good as they used to be
    • Oils are just as good as they used to be
    • Began exploring other kinds of products
    • Switched to other kinds of products
    • Other - please post

Question

We all know that sealers, stains, and paints were changed to meet new reduced VOC requirements as of January 2005. We have all seen how our favorite various oils have performed since then. Some of us have tried acrylics and newer technologies as a result. How do you feel about the changes?

14 answers to this question

To be honest with you Beth - if you have tried California's Endurdeck Hardwood oil stain {just using a more commercially available product for comparisons sake} I'd say that VOC changes haven't had any impact whatsoever. Because of this I am very suspect that these companies were at the mercy of these 2005 changes. I'd say they were more suspect of milking their reputation and taking out quality ingredients. Not to mention California's stain is New England based and contains way over these so-called 2005 VOC limits. Paint companies went to bat along with lobbyists and these EPA changes have been rolled back - heck Cabots contains 'exempt' mineral spirits - which pushes their VOC's way over so-called 2005 limit of 250 vs. 550 units.

I read it somewhere, but can't remember where. All I know, is that all these products that were suppose to be off the shelf on new years 2006/2007 are still here in 2008. Supposedly - these lobbyists basically told washington, that products like latex based primers for bare wood - just ain't cutting the cheese and really never will be able to. I definitely do not think we will ever have the array of solvent based coatings like in the 70's - but we are keeping certain things. goto California Paints and locate a dealer near you - there are some in Silver Spring, California, potomac, Bethesda.

With all the new acrylics being sold. What are we going to do when we start running into a lot of decks previously coated with acrylic. Stripping them is a pita and a lot of people wont want to pay. Start using solid on them? I used to use cabot decking stain on old decks that were way over coated. They usually looked dark brown, i would strip the floor and just wash and coat over the rails. Cabot chestnut brown usually matched close enough to cover and blend with the old stain.The decks looked fine and hold up great. It was a way to do a good job reasonably with out totally stripping or going to a solid .The new cabot doesnt cover well enough to do this anymore.The only products that might work now are semi trans acrylics and its like well if i use acrylic this time ill probably just go over it with a solid next time because im not going to want to strip it. Im getting to the point if i cant get it to bare wood or the customer doesnt want to pay, use a solid.

What we will have to learn is that oil based coatings allow caustics to remove them and acrylics are removed by using acids. I am sure guys like Russell will have an acidic version of HD-80 for removing acrylic stains. But It will be nasty stuff!

Beth - I was curious, in your area as well as delaware - they have enacted that very strict VOC change. Is there any hard data to support that there is less pollution in your area as a result? I don't mind the EPA legislating this stuff - but I would also like them to be accountable as well, with proof that their enforcements of low VOC's is in fact doing what they say it should be doing. I for one with my understanding on how VOC's and nitrous oxides combine to form low level smog, can't for the life of me - figure out how lessening VOC's in coatings is going to reduce ground level smog conditions?

It is absolutely insane and ignores the real problem - nitrous oxide emitting auto tailpipes - that is the supply side of this smog equation. And smog is directly a function of the amount of this substance. VOC's on the other hand come from natural sources such as trees in the form of isoprenes and terpenes and in levels of much greater magnitude than we as mankind could ever dream of emitting artificially from coatings and such.

I'm looking to stain my deck with Cabot's Clear Solutions. I know they have a couple of different model #'s for this product.

Can someone explain the difference between the 9200 series and the 3000 series? Is the 9200 the post VOC formula and the 3000 the original?

The local Lowe's here in VA is carrying the 9200 while the True Value has the 3000. Lowes is $2 cheaper/gal. Would I be better off getting the 3000?

Thanks!

I talked to a chemist that works for a local resin research and development company - and one project he is working on is an acrylic resin for a deck stain that has the same wear 'profile' as an alkyd/oil based stain. So peeling acrylic stains could be a thing of the past in the next few years.