Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Follow up on ipe deck staining

Question

Most of you woodies probably remember the thread and pictures about the ipe deck builder that tried to prep a deck prior to us coming in to stain it. The cost of our prep was built into the project and the story as to why they ended up doing it without my knowlege is not important. I forgot to post the results. The stain job came out okay and all ended well.. other than the contractor paying me for a sanding and repair job of course. Deck was cleaned with Restore-A-Deck to remove any dirt ground into the ipe deck.

Here's the before and after.

contractor_fubar.jpg

ipe_deck_stained.jpg

30 answers to this question

John, I think they used 'aussie' as the land down under is an exotic place to Americans for one and for two you guys do have some hard wood right?

I tried looking at cabots.com but it's an icecream place - much more interesting:lglolly:

As for hardwood, most of our trees are hardwood - slow growing and HARD, maybe not IPE but none the less great for cooking on. But for decks, there is a lot of SE Asian rainforest timber such as Yellow Balau (great for splintering) and Kwila (great for leaching red tannins for months and months and months) as it is cheap.

cheers

Thanks Beth

Are you up early or am I up late? may be that's why ice-cream seems more interesting than timber finishes.

I've just had a wander of the web and... global trade... It turns out that your Cabot is not our Cabot's. They were once, but not any more. Yours was bought by VALSPAR in 2005 and ours has been owned by ORICA since the 1990's. They have the same colour tin, but that's it.

That's enough history, I think I'll go have that ice-cream now.

Good night/morning.

I'm not up that early, it's 8:30 here. :)

Must be late there.... can you guys get Ben & Jerry's down under? Love that ice cream. Have not coated a deck with it tho...

Beth

Hi Beth, it must have been late here then (11:30pm). No Ben & Jerry, not even Tom & Jerry, but still plenty of great stuff (I bought some recently but my 9yo didn't like it - all the more for me - because it was "too creamy"). I was going to have a Nutella thick-shake, but the kids had drunk all the milk - it would have gone straight to my hips anyway. May be I could have used Woodzotic instead.

And now back to the main topic, which was... actually I've forgotten...