Sign in to follow this  
rj242

Decker 5er or deckster?

Question

Hey Everyone,

I am seriously thinking about purchasing one of these rigs and would like to know if I can use toners, semitransparents, and solid color stains with these sprayers? I am just starting to get into wood working, and would like the best all around sprayer for decks.

I also haven't done that many decks, but the ones I have done were done with Olympic products (rolled and brushed). These products are easily accessible to me, and I have had decent results from them so far. Would there be any problem with these products and one of these machines? I believe most of the Olympic products are water soluble.

Thanks in Advance!

RJ

7 answers to this question

These are just my opinions.

Water borne products are umm, not wonderful. They are made for homeowner use and often contain too much acrylics. If you are going to use a box store brand of tinted sealer, use Olympic Maximum (not the Olympic regular which is absolute garbage).

You can use a Decker for anything though I would recommend using an airless for anything as thick as a solid stain or paint. Upgrade to an adjustable stainless wand when you buy your unit. I know the one that comes with the deckster is a toy. The upgrade allows you to control pressure at the wand. Thinner stains are going to atomize with a ton of pressure behind them and create the cloud that causes callbacks.

These are just my opinions.

Water borne products are umm, not wonderful. They are made for homeowner use and often contain too much acrylics. If you are going to use a box store brand of tinted sealer, use Olympic Maximum (not the Olympic regular which is absolute garbage).

You can use a Decker for anything though I would recommend using an airless for anything as thick as a solid stain or paint. Upgrade to an adjustable stainless wand when you buy your unit. I know the one that comes with the deckster is a toy. The upgrade allows you to control pressure at the wand. Thinner stains are going to atomize with a ton of pressure behind them and create the cloud that causes callbacks.

I have not seen the adustable ss wands for deckster....could you send a link on where to order one?

I was just looking at the Decker models on the sunbrite's website, and noticed a few things. They mentioned that the new pumps were 114 models instead of the older 112 models. Does anybody have a new model and have they had any problems with it. I also noticed that they have rebuild kits for 12dc and 120vac models, so I assume you can order either one. Anybody have a 120vac? If so how does it work? And one last question, I have read on some of the post about these pumps that you can get pumps with plastic parts or stainless parts. Is one better than the other?