Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

need some ideas for an enclosed trailer ramp

Question

Another project I am working on is trying to get a ramp for my enclosed trailer. My welder can make one but just need some ideas or plans. The trailer is 6'x12' with wood floor and 2 barn-style doors.I would like the ramp to be hinged so it goes up and the doors close behind it. The ramp needs to be strong enough for my parking lot striping equipment and driver to go up and down it (roughly around 900 pounds) but be able to be lifted up by one person.Just checking to see if anyone has a ramp that is this strong and has pictures of it. Expanded metal did not work with 12" centers so I am looking for another option. Thanks for any help.

11 answers to this question

Race car trailers have spring assisted ramps. But the ramp is also the back door. Not sure if a conversion to this is simple or not. They sell them with the kind of ramp you're talking about, maybe you could buy the door as a replacement and just attach it. Just throwing an idea out at ya'.

Jeff

Expanded metal has too much give in it. You need to have a wood floor in order for it to be able to hold the weight. If you do it on 16 inch centers, you should be able to easily run something up on the trailer. You can use a sheet of 3/4 plywood as the decking.

Thanks for the ideas. The trailer is too low to the ground for a slide under ramp. I thought of how the U-Haul trucks have their ramps below the beds in the frame and like that idea.I originally thought about wood. I was going to make it out of 2"x10" boards with 3/4" plywood on top. Spanning 6' out from the edge of the trailer it bowed a lot, did not break but bowed a lot to where I could not get the machines into the trailer so I am thinking of metal now.

Aluminum would be best. They take alot of weight. My current ramp is one of the aluminum diamond plate ramps used off the truck docks to remove pallets. Measures about 6x3.5' and is maybe 3/16" thick. Has beveled support rails along sides is all to give it strength. Gettin tired of tossing it in and out and scratching items up with it so I been planning on making a door ramp myself.

Hardest thing is to design it so when it drops you have a smooth transition from floor to ramp. I suggest going to a rental lot and looking at their trailers as some are good and some leave a tad to be desired on the transition. My aluminum one has a bend for the transition.

I will be going to the trailer places next week (after I get over this flu) and see what is available.I asked the welder about the atv ramps and welding another plate of aluminum on top for more support. He said it might work but the cost would be a lot more than steel.Have not ruled out aluminum yet but would like to save some money if possible but would like the light weight too.Still searching for other options.

That sounds like a good idea Adrian. Thanks.Maybe I can get a bigger version of it and put more reinforcement underneath as it will be extending around 6' out and would like it to be 4' or 5' wide.

I don't think you will need to reinforce as these things are designed to have 6k lb forklifts drive onto them for loading tractor trailers. Just cut the tongues, weld a hinge, flip it up with a stopper on the inside and close the doors.