Sign in to follow this  
Sparklean

Sodium Hypochlorite vs Calcium Hypochlorite

Question

I've seen on many boards people recommending to mix 12% or 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite (SH) in with surfactants for a house mix. From what I've gathered (mainly via wikipedia, and we all know wikipedia is infallible (sarcasm)) Calcium Hypochlorite is the same thing as Sodium Hypochlorite except CH is a power and SH is a liquid. Depending on the amount I buy I can get this stuff for $1.50 a pound or even less. It's a 72% mixture, so 1 pound would make six gallons (seems like it to me. 72 / 12 = 6). That comes out to $.25 a gallon, plus whatever the water costs . . . say $.30 a gallon. Is there any reason I would want to purchase SH over CH?

Also, safety is a major concern with CH. The guy at the pool store told me a lady left the top off her 100 pound bucket of CH and the rain caused the bucket to explode, melting her pool and burning down her backyard. Not that SH is anything to "play" around with, but would I need to use the same level of precaution with SH as would need to be used with CH?

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Also, what else do you personally mix with SH (or do you not use SH) for your house mix? I'm mainly concerned with wood, brick, hardiplank and stucco/DryVit as that is much more common in Houston than aluminum or vinyl.

4 answers to this question

Great talking with you too, Adrian.

Next time you want to "impart some wisdom" just call! :D

Also, next time you're headed this way on a job give me a call if it's convenient for you. I'll definitely go if I am able to.