Sign in to follow this  
dperrin

Aluminum Siding - Do I need to do anything special?

Question

I have a job to bid tomorrow for a guy who has aluminum siding on his house. Says he has mold that he wants removed. Can I use my typical mix of straight 6% bleach with some house wash downstreamed or does aluminum need special treatment?

Thanks

15 answers to this question

Oxidation is the main concern, It is usually worse on one or two sides. Having experience and learning how to evaluate the condition and whats going to happen,... is the best way you can deal with oxidized aluminum. You just need to be able to tell the customer what to expect. It's hard to tell anyone what to do with aluminum sided houses as they can all be different without seeing the job in person

Jeff

Looks like the customers main issue is removing the mold not any problem with oxidation. My question is will the bleach do anything to the aluminum. Is this the proper way to clean the alumimum.

Might be nice to know how to get any oxidation off while we are talking about it.

Thanks!

If it has mold on it, its oxidized. Bleach can cause the pigment/paint to run off leaving very streaky aluminum. You can use a caustic to remove the oxidation but depending upon the condition of the siding you could clean it to bare metal. (that would be bad)

Alum siding can be a delicate clean using a weak bleach solution (if you downstream 6% that is very weak) and some car washsoap and be fairly simple to a two step cleaning process starting with acid that you should charge three times as much for. Like Jeff said, you have to know how to evaluate the work.

Make sure your insurance prmemiums are paid up just in case.

If it has mold on it, its oxidized. Bleach can cause the pigment/paint to run off leaving very streaky aluminum. You can use a caustic to remove the oxidation but depending upon the condition of the siding you could clean it to bare metal. (that would be bad)

Alum siding can be a delicate clean using a weak bleach solution (if you downstream 6% that is very weak) and some car washsoap and be fairly simple to a two step cleaning process starting with acid that you should charge three times as much for. Like Jeff said, you have to know how to evaluate the work.

Make sure your insurance prmemiums are paid up just in case.

Well I'll pay my latest premium and go at it gently. Thanks.

There isn't always a correction method, especially with this type of thing. Best to avoid the problem if possible. A lot of times the more you go after it the worse it can get. First and foremost is the customer being aware of the possible outcome. Never sugarcoat any predictions when discussing these jobs with with the customer. And if they don't seem to comprehend then move on. And obviously always look at the more oxidized side when making a determination. By the way, we haven't any idea what this job is like so don't look at it as though were trying to make it difficult. The pitfalls here is what we're trying to help you avoid. Smooth aluminum seems to oxidize worse than the type with texture or "woodgrain" look. That has always been my experience anyhow.

Jeff

Jeff

I don't even touch Alum. unless they are told oup front that it may need repainting!!! put the decision on them or you may be doing the job for free. removing the oxidized coating evenly is the trick. it can be done but the older the siding the greater the chance to hit bare metal. I carry sherwin williams A-100 white semi-gloss with me when I wash a vinyl house because the soffit and facia is usually alum. covered . Spot painting is one thing but I know of a company that was sued for washing alum sided house down to bare metal.

Aluminum is very difficult, especially the old flat type. Find a hidden spot that gets its share of sunlight then rub your finger along it to see how bad it's fading. Tell the customer you are not responsible for fading. Finally tell them that aluminum siding can be painted.

bringing this back from the past.. I have a customer who wants there mobile home done and originally I did not ever want to touch aluminum but may give this a shot DS'ing with very light pressure bleach/dish soap but this thread just reminds me of the high risk.. I will have to take a look and see what the condition is and educate him of the risk at which point he may just get it repainted like he mentioned already..

-rob

Edited by Rob R.

Citraclean with a touch of 6% for the mold. (1 gal 6%, one bottle of Ultra Dawn for x cling foam,,to a fiver in an x jet) Low pressure "rinse on" with alot of foam, Dwell time is: singing "wish I was in the Land of Dixi" 3 or 4 times. ( mobile homes like that) and then "rinse off" method. No blasting!

:lgbow:

Edited by MudDuck

well cleaned my first aluminum siding house, just had to be real careful not to streak the siding.. Used outdoor bleach provided by the customer applied by a pump up sprayer let it dwell for a few minutes..turned out ok its getting repainted anyhow this summer customer just wanted ti cleaned up before paint..