Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Ladder Safety

Question

While we do many things that we take for granted, it is the easier ones that may put us in harms ways. While this story pertains to changing a lightbulb, it could happen to anyone using a ladder. I am sure dying was the last thing on this guys mind when he started this simple task. Be careful in all you do.

Sioux Falls custodian dies from fall injuries

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SIOUX FALLS - A custodian at a Sioux Falls elementary school died Friday after he was injured in a fall.

Tommy Metli, 37, of Sioux Falls, was changing a light bulb Thursday in the lobby of Garfield Elementary School when he fell from a 10-foot ladder and was knocked unconscious, school officials said. He was taken to a Sioux Falls hospital where he died on Friday.

''What we think happened is the light bulb broke in his hand,'' said Jack Keegan, superintendent of the Sioux Falls School District. ''He may have flinched and fell off the ladder.''

Keegan said Metli was following procedures and had placed the ladder on a rubber mat so it wouldn't slip.

''To us, this is a tragic accident. And one we feel very bad about for his family,'' the superintendent said.

And on another note.

Last week, a friend of mine who owns a carpet cleaning business went out as usual to clean a clients house. He suffered a heart attack and passed away shortly after.

When the fire dept went through his wallet, they could not find anything with emergency contact info. They called the number on his van outside and heard his cell phone ringing in his pocket. When the Police searched his van they did find an employee ID card for his other job and were able to get ahold of someone after a few hours.

For those that work alone, have a safety net in place to help someone help you. Have emergency contact info with your MSDS book, as it is usually easy to find.

Quoting Hill Street Blues "Let's be careful out there"

7 answers to this question

I guess having an unusual name helps - there is only 3 of us in the city with the same last name and we're related. Only a handful of us in the country and two handfuls in the world. In a couple of generations I guess they'll be able to say they broke the mold after creating us.

I suppose most people don't tend to think about bad things happening to them.

As a business owner, everyone should have a safety policy and safety motto. Helps to keep your mind focused. Of course things can and will always happen that are out of your control.

"Safety First and Make IT Last!"

reminds me of the story recently of the man who died in the hospital. the way the family found out was when they got the bill!

Man was missing for weeks and the family had no idea where he was. The hospital said they didnt know where to find the family- yet the bill got there with no problem.

For those that work alone, have a safety net in place to help someone help you. Have emergency contact info with your MSDS book, as it is usually easy to find.

Very true Alan. If you are not able to talk, those few minutes they spend trying to find out who you are and how to treat you could be the difference between life & death. A good practice is to have a card in your wallet as well, with an emergency contact and other important medical information. It's something I hope nobody ever has to use, but if you need it, you'll be glad it was there.

Jon Chapman if I were that family I would send the bill back saying wrong family.

Then hire an attorney to find out why they failed to contact them while the man was in the hospital.

Now what gets me is why the family did not notify the police he was missing all those weeks to start with, goes to show the family could care less that he never came home.

Wonder what sort of family they are too.

When I was working out there at night my wife would always call around 1 AM to be sure I was ok. She always had a schedule so she knew where I was and where I was going. If I did not answer the cell phone she would try again in about 10 minutes because she knew if I was working I might not be able to answer the phone right away.

That was one of our safety nets, keeping in touch and always leaving a schedule of jobs for the night.

Jon,

We do the same thing up here with the wife and I. I am not out as much at night as you were so there was comfort from the wife end that working in the day was a lot easier. She calls me at a certain time during the day to just "check in".