Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

First Deck of the Season

Question

Well, the first deck stain of the season is done. The deck was a mixture of cedar and pressure treated pine. This is one of the bigger ones I've done at around 750 sq. ft. of floor space plus railing, ballisters, roof beams, lattice work, etc. My helper wasn't available and it was too windy to spray (even with sheeting) so yup, the whole thing was done by hand, solo. Can't complain though. The weather was nice, the customers were nice, it was out in the country (over 30 acres), Cardinals everywhere, horses right next to me, goats making whatever the noise is that goats make, customers dog to keep me company and so on. I learned a few things; don't ever underestimate the value of a good helper (or lack thereof), if you can't mask off and spray....ugh, and don't use one of those plastic liners in a paint tray...when it gets low on stain and a gust of wind come up, watch out, that liner is gonna fly somewhere! The color is a blend of 4 parts Bakers Redwood and one part Bakers Super Cedar. The customer is very happy and the pictures don't do it justice. There is one where the lattice work doesn't look like it's been done but it's the same color as everything else, some sort of "setting sun light trick" thing going on. The attached pictures only show part of the deck, no way to get it all in one shot. Sure beats workin' for a living!

post-1269-137772200682_thumb.jpg

post-1269-137772200689_thumb.jpg

post-1269-137772200695_thumb.jpg

post-1269-137772200703_thumb.jpg

post-1269-137772200711_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

That a nice deck Pete...Looks probably as much footage in the verticles as the horizontals. How many gal it take?.

I too like mixing redwood with cedar. Sometime it makes for exact match to freshen up a prestained pressure treated lumber we get out here.

you hand stained that lattice??!?!?

Nice job though. How many coats did you brush on? Could you do it thick enough in one coat?

The single layer lattice on the upper part was done by hand with a 1" nap roller and a brush to touch up. Laid it on reeeeeal heavy. I had drop cloths on the deck to catch drips and brushed in or ragged off anything that went other places than the drop cloth. The double layer lattice on the bottom was done with my 1 gal pump up sprayer; whenever the wind dropped, I furiously grabbed the pump up and went to town. I forgot to say that this is the first deck where I down streamed both the percarb and oxalic. That is a very fast and effective way to do things. In the future I will only use a pump up or sureflow for that if I have to. I used about 15gals of stain for the whole thing.

post-1269-137772200717_thumb.jpg

post-1269-137772200889_thumb.jpg

post-1269-137772200896_thumb.jpg

Pete,

Nice work. I am really liking that Baker's stain. Always impressive on the before and afters. I think I'll be taking a closer look at Bakers this year.

Pete,

Nice work. I am really liking that Baker's stain. Always impressive on the before and afters. I think I'll be taking a closer look at Bakers this year.

I'm real happy with it. Just make sure you get all the solids that settle to the bottom of the pail.

That deck looks great! While we're on the subject of Bakers can anyone tell me a good supplier where I can buy the product?

That deck looks great! While we're on the subject of Bakers can anyone tell me a good supplier where I can buy the product?

I think Ken Fenner at Pressure Pros (a member on this board) is a distributor for them. If he's not able to help you, contact me and I'll give you some more information. 817.372.3743

I've yet to realize any bennefit whatsoever of Baker's....

Not that I haven't want to but that I too do not know how to get it.

ps-- If I wanted to sell a stain to online folk I would have stain samples up and a direct online purchase ability. Case of Baker's I think it would do very well if the Pro Sealer Store offered it.. Texas Wood Products

I think Ken Fenner at Pressure Pros (a member on this board) is a distributor for them. If he's not able to help you, contact me and I'll give you some more information. 817.372.3743

Will do. Thanks

Pete,

Good to hear someone else has found the benefits of DSing decks. Now you just need to get a canvas tarp to drape over the railings so you can spray when it's windy.

Nice job!