Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

For Comparison sake

How much do you think Floor sanders charge a square foot?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you think Floor sanders charge a square foot?

• $1.00/sq.ft. for sanding and 3 coats of poly
    • $1.50/sq.ft. ditto
    • $2.00/sq.ft. ditto
    • $2.50/sq.ft. ditto
    • $3.00/sq.ft. ditto
    • $3.50+/sq.ft. yeah these guys get top dollar!

Question

Just to compare our deck resto business to floor 'sanders'. Guys that come in and sand down hardwood floors and apply 3 coats of oil based poly - what do you guys think they get per square foot? Remember they have to put on 3 coats - buff in between - with many trips - as they can't wait between coats - as oil based poly's take a long time to dry - so they have to leave jobs often and come back often.

So what do you think floor sanders get per square foot? Cast your vote, just remember, I think their job is more labor intensive with much higer expectations as to the finish and of course the average expectation for durability is about 10-15 years. And they have to be super diligent for the dust they create.

8 answers to this question

I just put down 10" wideplank pine flooring in my house this past winter and I obtained several bids to finish it. They were from $2.50 to $5 a sq ft. I ended up sealing them myself :) as there was about 2000 sq ft of flooring total.

I guess working outside at the mercy of the elements doesn't count - or contaminating pets - or killing plants - or dealing with not bright employees that might maim themselves with a chemical - or any of the other things that exterior wood restoration pro's have to keep in mind.

Price is about $4.50 and worth every penny...

$1.50 would be for just the sanding by a pro...some folk do the finish theirselves in the idea of getting a better finish.

For an idea of work involved..Whether old floor or new they generally need to be multi grit sanded with the new actuallly requiring as much work or more due to initial diagonal sanding. On the finishing ya can get 2 coat on in a day if small floor (can be advantageous actually for adhesion)...2 coat is usual. Floor refinishing takes as much or more equipment and supplies is my feeling than decks. Ya have to deal with many things foreign to deck work. Have to deal with dust, popping off baseboards, cabinet overhangs at ground level in some cases, ventalation, etc. .To do it right ya can't be using them lite weight varathane array machines at big box store unless floor is already in fairly nice shape, uncupped, and level. It's all done dry unless yer that online Sandless guy that surely raises grain..lol.

Need drum sander, swing machine for screening (between coats), orbital for edge work,..my preferance for finish application is a t-bar.

Alot of work!