Sign in to follow this  
CCPC

damage control

I was wondering if chlorine or other common exterior cleaning chemicals can damage awnings? The reason I ask, is because if you were to wash a buliding that has awnings would'nt some of the wash chemical you are using for the building get on the awnings as well. Any ideas on what chemicals are safe to use on buildings that have awnings? I visted a few of the sites that some of you all had suggested in other postes, but I could find nothing that addressed that issue.

Yes, Awning can be damaged while washing a building. There are several factors to consider.

The chemical itself, the type of material the awning is made of, and the use of high pressure in close proximity to the awning.

Vinyl is less prone to damage than cloth, but care still needs to be used. Wetting them down first will help, but covering them in plastic and then cutting in later would be best.

I thought about the idea of covering the awnings in plastic, but some awnings are very large and that would seem to be quite an undertaking. There has to be an easier way. Besides even if you spent hours wrapping the awnings in plastic it would still seem likely that they would leak in some spots.

The reason I asked these questions is because I am going to expand more into the commercial arena of the pressure biz and it seems the majority of the commerical buldings here in the Jacksonville, FL area have awnings of some kind or another. I have done only a handfull of commercial jobs so far and none of them have had awnings, but I know that its only a matter of time before one comes up.

Wrapping them will be a preventive measure, not a cure all. Yes the plastic can leak, but their is always a risk involved somewhere.

As I said above, the type of awning fabric and the chemical will be a big factor. If you have cloth awnings and plan to bleach the building, you may want to remove the awning while you are working.

Covering them or removing them, nobody said it was going to be easy.

Depending on the size of the building and the amount of space above the awning, we would use our pump sprayer to apply the chemical at a mist. Then the rest of the building can be completed through your downstrem chemical injector or what ever you use.

Have one guy using the pump sprayer while another soaks down the awning with straight water. This will help eleviate any accumalation that might happen. Once the chemical has time to dwell then just wash normally. I would every few seconds spray the awning with just the wand in the area that you are cleaning to be safe.

Hope this helps.

local awning dealer and get samples and test them. I did and tried everything from 12% sodium hypoclorite, oxalic acid, sodium hydroxide gutter zap and anything else I could think of. All straightout the pail. Didn't hurt the samples at all even after leaving on overnight. This was vinyl like is used for back-lit awnings. I don't no about fabric although I have washed them with sodium hypo and the cleaned up fine. Make sure to rinse really well and don;t let it dry.

I would have thought that a fabric awning could possibly get bleached out when hypochlorite is used. That was one of my biggest concerns. I do very much appreciate your responces.

Guest rfitz

James,

That soap you are looking for is from Bob at www.pressuretek.com

it is called 6136 for that chalky film removal from vinyl, call Bob and he can give you all the dilution ratio's...

Let me know if this is what you needed....?