Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Wood Tux and Flamability

Question

I love the low flammability of RS, easy to work with and I don't worry too much about a wet rag lighting up in my hands. I'd really like to try WTW but Im curious about its formula with respect to flammability. Anyone have any comparative info? ThaNKS!

30 answers to this question

At the risk of sounding like a smart a$$, what do you want to compare? RS won't light up in your hand - WTW can....however, if the appropriate precautions are taken - as they should be always with certain stains - you shouldn't worry about a wet rag lighting up in your hand.

Matt....firecan and extinguisher mang!! :)

Humidity over yer way may help but yea when we get up a bit higher in temps you have to take precautions. Supposed to be inthe 80's this weekend. In another month or so mainly you'll want to keep items out of direct sun. Don't pile stuff together without humidity present or place near buildings. Do not put materials having stain on them in a customers garbage can if ya can help it. Tarps can be a challenge... anyone got good solution there let me know. Cleaning them before rolling is a pain and they take up all the space if ya try and put in yer firecan. Using less spirits on rags for cleanup duties will go along way towards safety too.

We keep a degreaser bucket on hand to put all rags in. This also facilitates removal of any overspray or drips, spills etc. by having a cleaning solution always ready.

There was a formulation that did have spontaneous combustion capabilities higher than normal, but I believe that version is no longer in production.

Rod!~

I kinda figured that would turn into a general discussion on 'fire safety' , no worries. We always follow a strict safety regiment when working with anything w/ a flash point. Firecans, extinguishers, all on board. Not paranoid, just curious Celeste. I was mainly just curious about WTW vs. RS with respect to flash points. Thats all.

It really comes down to being a pro and taking the neccessary precautions. I'm not saying use one product or the other.. use what suits your business model the best. If we took a stance of "I'm not going to use that, its dangerous" we wouldn't strip a deck (sodium hydroxide can cause third degree burns), we wouldn't use bleach (repeated exposure cause damage to the lungs) etc. You do what you have to do to be safe. I have heard other RS users tout this high combustion factor as a benefit and it just about makes me burst out laughing. Its only a benefit to sloppy users that leave rags and tarps laying around or to those that don't practice proper disposal technique.

I agree with what Ken is saying about the relative 'dangers' of the various chems/stains that we use. True, really comes down to safe practices at the jobsite and a solid understanding of how to use these tools safely. On the other hand, I'd agree with Beth...accidents DO happen, even with the professional. Obviously, chances are reduced significantly if you are paying close attention to safety procedures, but they CAN happen. I dont choose my seals/chems solely based on how safe they are. Again, I agree with Ken, that would have us out there scrubbing decks with laundry detergent alone! That said, I think its a reasonable consideration when choosing a stain to work with. Not alone, but a 'consideration', thats all I'm saying here...

I was mainly just curious about WTW vs. RS with respect to flash points. Thats all.

I had an experience with a WTW blend heating up on me due to too many layers of my preferred applicator (old sweatshirt)....out of direct sunlight, low to mid 60's for temps. It just doesn't like to be folded or wadded up where no circulation is allowed?

Hence my question mark :) It made no sense that it was heating internally with no air, but that is what was happening. The outermost layer was at air temp but unroll the entire rag and the center was like a firecracker....very weird.

Celeste

I've seen that before. If you have used that rag before, and had a good concentration of product on it, then it is folded, you have more of the heated area next to itself is the best way I can describe it. Unfolding it and adding more oxygen can cause it to go up. Some people keep a metal pail with an air tight lid to store rags in. We are big believers of lots of water and no air. The only place I want a fire is in my grill, with a a steak or chicken cooking happily on top!

Beth :groovy2:

I had an experience with a WTW blend heating up on me due to too many layers of my preferred applicator (old sweatshirt)....out of direct sunlight, low to mid 60's for temps. It just doesn't like to be folded or wadded up where no circulation is allowed?

Shoulda seen it at 110 during our heat spell last year. :)

At the risk of sounding like a smart a$$, what do you want to compare? RS won't light up in your hand - WTW can....however, if the appropriate precautions are taken - as they should be always with certain stains - you shouldn't worry about a wet rag lighting up in your hand.

:lgangel:

Would you say that the right precautions were taken when that sweatshirt heated up on you?

I was mainly just curious about WTW vs. RS with respect to flash points. Thats all.

Matt,

The MSDS or product spec sheets should list a flash point. AFAIK, Beth is right. Any product containing linseed oil should be used with care.

:lgangel:

Would you say that the right precautions were taken when that sweatshirt heated up on you?

LOL - I asked for that one :) Technically I would say "no", I did not. In a perfect world, wadding up a sweatshirt/rag to use to wipe stain should not fall into the "discard oil soaked" category! On the flip side, being aware of how warm your hand is getting would be a good indicator that it's time to change applicators?

Celeste

If you click that second link I posted.... (This one) Spontaneous Combustion With Urethane Dust and Scrapings

...you'll see that spontaneous combustion is not just about rags. In the examples given it happened from sawdust from floor refinishing and even inside a tool where there was a buildup. It also happens to more than just linseed type things. If the label of the product you are applying says it can happen, it can. If you are removing something and sanding and are NOT sure what is on there, proceed as if it is potentially flammable.

Beth

It really comes down to being a pro and taking the neccessary precautions.

I find that statement ignorant Ken. I wouldn't call that sage advice since it doesn't produce any awareness of the potentials or the circumstances that produce them. It occurs to me that you must have been fortunate enough to not have an employee forget something after a working on a 95* + day.

Even after being put through an OSHA safety course accidents can happen.

People get overheated from sun exposure and forget things. This is where it all starts. It's called disorientation. Monitoring your employees conditions and appointing others who are not affected can help to bring awareness to any potential combustion issues.

Overall, it comes down to responsibility and the initiator of this thread was responsible enough to ask so we should be responsible in our responses and from our experiences provide feedback on what products have to potentials to cause spontaneous combustion as they have requested. Let's keep the constructive information coming.

Rod!~

I'm not sure how I could have worded that any different. Does it not come down to being a pro and taking the neccessary precautions ??

I don't think so, but it did come across vague and what I read as a bit arrogant. Being a "pro" is subjective and "taking the necessary precautions" was ambiguous.

There have been a number of people who have had instances of fires and I would not for one minute diminish them as a professional just because they did.

Rod!~

No problem, Rodathaurus. You just read more than was there. If you reread my post and follow my train of thought (and the thread itself) I am saying that you don't just not use something because the product in itself has risk. A pro will understand the risks and take the neccessary precautions. I never implied that accidents cannot and will not happen. I have had close calls with oil soaked rags but again, I was being sloppy so if I burned my house, truck, or customer's deck down, who could I blame but myself? Ask any of the guys that have had fires from spontaneous combustion and ask them two questions:

1) Did you change the way you handled oily rags and tarps after the fire?

2) Have you had any occurences since the fire?