Sign in to follow this  
Doug T

Deck Help

Question

Would appreciate some help on a deck problem. Last night I tried a test of stripping the deck with F18. Mixed some up strong, splashed a small spot, let dwell 12-15 minutes and then rinsed off. Was not pleased with the results.

Went back tonight to see what it looked like dry and still not pleased. Customer had it stained 2 or 3 years ago and the first year started having problems with it coming up. They are trying to contact the prior contractor to see what was used but I have not heard back yet.

I took some pics tonight but have no idea on how to post. Bear with me while I try.

I have done a few decks (5-6) but all were PTP and I have no idea what wood this is, certainly does not look like PTP<

post-1453-137772204448_thumb.png

post-1453-137772204466_thumb.png

post-1453-137772204481_thumb.png

post-1453-137772204485_thumb.png

post-1453-13777220449_thumb.png

7 answers to this question

OK, now that the pics posted...The first and last pics, where the "lighter" area is next to the black spot is where I splased the F18. Other pics are just general condition of the deck.

Any suggestion?

Strip, neutralize, buff when dry, seal. Be prepared for some sanding, but I think it will be an easy strip. You have alot of UV graying already. It's should be easy. Let them know the grease spot will NOT come all the way out. Then need to get a grill mat.

Beth

Doug,

From the close up pictures, the wood looks like PT, possibly spruce or fir. Do not like the wear pattern or color of the wood. Jon Chapman may be right that some type of silicone stain was used.

If your first dwell time did not produce the results you are looking for...extend it. Most strip work will take any where between 15-45 minutes of dwell time with reapplications to keep the product wet and active.

Patience grasshopper; to see the sun rise, you must wait till the dawn.

Rod!~