Sign in to follow this  
coreyp25

Cedar Deck Strip and Seal

I have been searching and reviewing many of the threads here for the last several days and appreciate all of the information that is available on this site.

I have a Cedar deck about 4 years old. Two years ago I foolishly sealed with a Behr product and as you know, it did not last and simply looks horrible. Wish I had found this site then...

So, I was thinking of using Restore-a-Deck after doing necessary sanding to provide a good starting point for the staining. However, I am a bit lost when it comes to what the best stain/sealer for a diy'er. I love the look and feedback that many of you have for Woodtux but that seems to only be for contractors.

Would anyone be willing to provide recommendations on the best homeowner stain/sealer that I can get?

I am fine with doing a light cleaning and possibly doing a new coat in the spring each year on the horizontals to keep it looking new. I don't want to have to strip each time though if possible.

Any assistance you are willing to provide is much appreciated as your opinions are valued.

Hi Corey,

First off, anyone can get Wood Tux. You can buy it at Deck Stains Cleaners Sealers Staining Decks Wood Decking Sealing Concrete Paver Restoration and I think you can get the EFC-38 and Citralic Brightener you will also need to do the job. EFC-38 is a percarb with a light duty stripper in it, which is nice since you do have an existing product to remove. Normally I would suggest stripping the deck, but since you are doing it yourself I would rather not try to walk you through a sodium hydroxide caustic application. Do your sanding, then clean with EFC-38 or a plain percarbonate. If you are not familiar with applying sealer or handy with a paint brush then you might try the TWP that Scott Paul sells at Deck Stains Cleaners Sealers Staining Decks Wood Decking Sealing Concrete Paver Restoration or his Timber Oil. They are more user friendly. We buy from Scott, get great service and feel you will to.

Beth

Corey

Woodrich Brand Stain & Seal is very similar to Wood-Tux. It is formulated with a lower amount of resin solids making it easier to apply. It is possible to get the same level of protection by using two coats of Stain & Seal.

It should be applied wet on wet. Take care not to leave any puddles after the second application. You can find more information on Woodrich Brand Stain & Seal at Wood Deck Cleaning & Sealing Products - ideal for wood siding and log homes

Russell Cissell

Wood Deck Cleaning & Sealing Products - ideal for wood siding and log homes

636-288-8512