So, Rick, you're convinced had that deck aged that the 'after' picture would have looked much better? That's RS, right? Looks like in perfect condition for a recoat with minimal prep.

Daniel,

Yes. The ipe' would have held WT and RS, maybe even other stains, better or "longer" in 6 months if the ipe' had weathered longer or been beaten to death on the horizontals with sodium hydroxide.

The stain in the pics is WoodTux.

Note. This was, or actually is, a "new" ipe' deck. Treated since construction. Look at the 5 deck boards to the left of the pic, next to the balustrade. Held the WT color better.

Why? Due to the friggin' non-drying batch of WT early last year, that wood was stripped twice.

Unlike some here, I have an ipe' deck. In 5 yrs. of maintenance, I have a close, long term experience with my wood. ATO, WT, RS, percarb, NaOH, citric, sanding, this ipe' has seen a workout.

It gets full sun most of the day. When we get a breather from customer work, WT, RS, Defy, Armstrong-Clark, and a new BM hardwood stain will be applied to the handrail. Similar to the oxalic-citric test last year.

Should be interesting in 6 months.

I kind of disagree with the softwoods with Beth and Rod. I did two seperate ptp jobs - one where the deck aged 8-10 months - another where the wood had been installed 4-5 years ago. They both got the same prep - both stained with woodtux out of the same pail - the deck that was only 8 months old looks like crap - the step I stained that was 4-5 years old - looks brand new, same stain, out of the same pail, same wood, difference in age.

Neither of us were talking about softwoods at all. Please re-read our posts. We are talking about seasoning Hardwoods. Of course you got the results on softwoods that you did, they do not comparably have in extractive content the same makeup.

Rod!~

Can't resist.

OK. The left side of the 1 year old Ipe board has been sanded. The right side is weathered for 1 year. The top of the left hand side has been sanded & stained. The lower left hand side has just been sanded. Look at the right hand side. Who would spend 20K plus to say wait 1 year and we'll make your deck deck new. I sell my decks on looks and how I can make them always look great.

I will only comment on this thread is that my customer wants the best looking deck from day one. Maybe instead of being the "expert" listen to what the customer want and expects.

Paul

You set the term on that one Paul. No one here said wait a year but you.

We are saying wait a few months.

btw, I don't think anyone here would ever be promising to make a deck look "new". Let's keep things in context.

Listening to what the customer wants and expects is always a good practice, BUT, educating them on the real world conditions surrounding their structure and giving them more realistic expectations based upon what you know a product will do vs the conditions that it will endure is responsibility in setting the correct expectations.

Given the VOC changes we are all contending with, I don't think anyone can give an accurate prediction beyond 9 months of how long a product will last on Ipe'.

Discussions like what Rick has posted in the past give us better insights and understandings of how products are doing.

I stand behind my advice of letting the wood season a few months. Let's be realistic here. Your test board did not get exposure to life use (walking, animals, debris, parties etc.) Just by looking at the pic, it just sat somewhere in the sun didn't it!

Rod!~

Well from looking at Ricks results - I think perhaps the waiting a year probably seems like the thing to do. Russell gave me some advice, instead of waiting - hit an entire deck with timberoil - so as to protect it from water and UV - and from turning grey. And then wash it a year later, another coat of timberoil. And finally when you think the deck has 'aged' sufficiently - wash it again and then use woodtux in the same color.

Dan, why go back 3 times? Let the wood sit and go back once. Timber oil won't do anything unless the wood has aged either. It depends on the product to how long one must wait . Understanding each sealer will go along way in helping understanding weathering of wood. Which is misunderstood?

Dan, why go back 3 times? Let the wood sit and go back once. Timber oil won't do anything unless the wood has aged either. It depends on the product to how long one must wait . Understanding each sealer will go along way in helping understanding weathering of wood. Which is misunderstood?

Bingo. :dancing:

Beth

I think the goal of doing it the way I said, was to give the customer instant gratification, by not letting it silver. And after 3 or so years the wood will accept a curing type stain - and the whole time not look bad.