Sign in to follow this  
soluble solutions

answering client's "environmental" questions

Question

I was wondering what some of you say to would-be clients when they inquire about the chemicals we use such as 12.5% or any other "mainstream" chemical we use on residential cleaning. This doesn't happen too often as our reputation speaks for itself most times.....but....

With all this environmental talk lately, has got people wondering more than ever about we're using and how it effects everything. Plants, pets, people, etc.

We have some local guys around here that boast no chems or solely scrub brushing everything and then washing. Claiming to do a better job and being more environmentally conscious, etc., etc. I mean they honestly don't do a better job AND they take 5 times as long to get the it done.

How do you guys sell the job using the big bad chemicals. How do you convince people that what you're doing is safe and effective? Excluding ref.'s and referrals...we already do that extensively. Does anyone have any stories to relay?

Thanks,

Steve

Soluble Solutions, LLC

(419) 651-2793

46 answers to this question

I agree, we like to use terms like solutions, cleaning detergents, soaping, cleaning agents. Things such as that. Our purpose is not to mis-lead anyone that's for sure, believe me, that is not our intension. We prefer to be upfront with folks (it doesn't pay not to be), but you're right. When they hear the word CHEMICAL...it's like they go looking for a fallout shelter sometimes. Not exactly the reaction you're looking for when giving an estimate.

we specifically use the word "detergents" in the contracts and communication. we also use the word bioremedation with communication. Our contracts also have a check box the "pretreat vegetation prior to washing" What does this mean? we water the plants before soap application

For siding cleaning of flatwork, we typically use the term "proper cleaning agent application", and include the instructions that all proper precautions will be taken to protect the home, foliage and surrounding, affected areas. Albeit, biodegradeable is a broad term, but this seems to quell their concerns as well. For deck work we use the term chemicals, and include the same "precautionary" language.

Since we are on hundreds of properties annually, we use that example and pose the question, "would we ever be invited back, or be able to continue business if we were harming the property"?

A MSDS sheet is included with our contracts for any chems/detergents that are being applied for that particular contract.

I don't know that I would recommend this particular action. Seems it could spark concern that doesn't need to be there. We keep a file folder of MSDS sheets for everything we use in our rigs, but have never had to pull one out to show a client. Might be more important in the states that have stricter eco-laws.?

Thanks for the input. Sounds like we're saying the same sorts of things. We carry all our MSDS sheets with us as well. I was just wondering what the rest of everyone was telling their clients.

I noticed a couple of you mentioning using contracts. Is this for commercial clients only, or do you use contracts for residential clients as well? We utilize contracts for commercial jobs, but not for residential work unless it would be an extensive project or something ongoing...maybe something done in phases like new construction or alotments. Just curious.

I could see using them residentially, but it always seemd to me that a contract would make some people sort of skeptical...as though you're trying to get them to agree to something that they don't want. I think older folks are the most cautious about this sort of thing. It's as though they think you're trying to trick them into something or they're agreeing to something that they don't see right off. Like the fine print sort of thing.

I've had contractors come in here and work on various things at my home and I've never had anyone present a contract to me. These haven't been really large projects, but certainly more money than a standard house wash.

I was wondering what some of you say to would-be clients when they inquire about the chemicals we use such as 12.5% or any other "mainstream" chemical we use on residential cleaning. This doesn't happen too often as our reputation speaks for itself most times.....but....

With all this environmental talk lately, has got people wondering more than ever about we're using and how it effects everything. Plants, pets, people, etc.

We have some local guys around here that boast no chems or solely scrub brushing everything and then washing. Claiming to do a better job and being more environmentally conscious, etc., etc. I mean they honestly don't do a better job AND they take 5 times as long to get the it done.

How do you guys sell the job using the big bad chemicals. How do you convince people that what you're doing is safe and effective? Excluding ref.'s and referrals...we already do that extensively. Does anyone have any stories to relay?

Thanks,

Steve

Soluble Solutions, LLC

(419) 651-2793

I use safe chemicals and i demostrate this for the clients. Please understand I use to worry about the word also, i now dont care about the word. I use safe chemicals and never hurt or damage anyone or anything.

I actually love when guys send there MSDS sheets in with the proposal. My education material has buyer beware or those chemicals and tell them of the effects on property and health.

People saw and got and idea of what i use in the denver round table. I might Demo my chems again in MB.

I realize in the residential market this is tough, guys are using strong stuff to cut labor down and often Poluting the eviroment.

In the commercial world clients understand the effects of these chemical. if you are sayin that your using a certain product they may want you to produce reciepts, I have had to give this to a few people in the past.

I am thinking about attending the MB conference it would be a pleasure to meet someone of your stature Ron. Do you use a citrus based chemical?

Sweet Ron look me up. I would love to learn how to clean with a potato. I grow them for personal use and if they can serve more purpose than feeding my family I am all ears.

If (The Ron not to be confused with the DONALD) will educate all of us on the proper way to clean concrete with potatoes we will all be rich. icon5.gif

Ron, come on and please let all of us scum sucking lowlife pieces of SH** wannabe PWing newbies that would love to lick the gum off of your shoe, in on the potato phenomenon. Please I beg of you.

He has a big crush on Ron.

:lgsideway

Thad, you are right. I look up to people that look down upon others with condescending EYES.icon12.gif

Ron you are right you have never hurt me personally,I would NEVER allow that to happen TRUST ME. You have been around a lot longer than I have. When a person of your reputation and stature makes some of the demeaning comments you make it really agrivates the phuck out of me. I wear my heart on my sleeve and most people know me in a few minutes after they meet me. I don't hide behind a computer screen. I do what I do because I love it and it feeds my family. I gave up a career making 50,000 a year + benies to do this and that was 7 years ago in one of the most competitive markets in the country, the great state of Florida. I have the equipment to be competitve in the Residential market and the COMMERCIAL market and from what I have HEARD about you, You find Sub-contractors to WHOR* out the Commercial market and you get paid your lil percentage. I have seen your YOU-TUBE demos and they really don't impress me. I don't see how they would impress any corporation,and I will be honest ,from the typing in your posts (that I have Read) I would hope that any of you WHOR*s would pray to God that any of the educated corporate people would not ever read any of it. Ron thats my .02 worth for what its worth.

Ron to be honest you should either hire someone to proof read your posts or take the time and do it yourself. I know for a fact that the Corporate people who make the decisions read these BBS. OK I am done. Ron please try to improve or at least learn to take constructive critisism. It seems like you have contacts in this business to make a difference but don't have the common sense to really do what needs to be done. LOVE YA. MEAN IT

Very sorry your so upset over my postings or existance? Not quite sure which one really bothers u.

My wiriting is bad, surprise!! thanks for letting me know this. I will work on it.

Mel, you have never seen a video presentation, if your reffering to yuotube those are the old ones from 2001 and 2002.

Mel, I have been public speaking for years. typing is not required, Yes the people who set up my powerpoint use spell check.

So know that all know why your so upset, could I get back to more bad spleling and wrting?