Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

What is this stuff

Question

Stripped this deck yesterday. you can see on the step, edge (in shade) and verticles what remained. I used HD80 at 10oz per gallon and applied straight. It wouldnt touch it.

HO has no idea as the guy that maintained it EVERY YEAR cant be reached any more.

Spa N Deck by flood is the most common acrylic used down here. But I can usually get that off better than this. I charged accordingly for extra sanding work, but Id still like to get more off before sanding.

Any Idea what it is?

6 answers to this question

I've seen that product before - it's a film forming acrylic of some sort. HD-80 with added surfactant and glycol will rip it right off - perhaps you will need 2 applications - the only downside is the amount of furring the wood you will have to contend with when it's all done.

I talked to Barbara today. She wasnt sure you could use the 633 with HD80. Your saying its OK?

I asked about the 760, but man was that stuff expensive.

Jon,

I purchased 50 lbs. of ACR 760 stripper yesterday. Cost was $180. No shipping involved as I was at their shop but is that expensive for 50 lbs of high grade wood stripper?

The ACR 633 booster should work fine with any NaOH stripper. We use it on tough jobs with good results. I think some guys (MMI and Plainpainter?) are cobbling together their own mixes to give extra punch to the NaOH. Something about glycol or RV antifreeze?

May want to search this site. Whatever is on that wood in the pictures looks very nasty. Multiple acrylic layers? You may have a good bit of sanding in your future.

I talked to Barbara today. She wasnt sure you could use the 633 with HD80. Your saying its OK?

I asked about the 760, but man was that stuff expensive.

Yes. Been doing it for a few years.

Beth