Sign in to follow this  
NateF

Boosted HD-80

Question

Ok I did a search for Boosted HD-80 and it didnt come up with too much. I've turned down solid stained decks so far but want to try some and see how it works. Im nowhere near a chemist so please give me exact names of products too boost with, the starting ratios and where I might buy them. Also can F-18 be boosted and with what? Thanks again

20 answers to this question

search for propylene glycol

Its the main ingrediant in Prestone Low Tox antifreeze and is a great booster. Use a little under half a gallon to a 5er of stripper for a heavy boost.

Beth is always talking about a booster from ACR products so you may want to search for more information on that. I cant remember the name but it seems like good stuff

Nate,

Try RV antifreeze (the pink stuff). Pretty common up in our climate. I keep a 15 gallon container on my trucks for winterizing (or stripper boosting). Works great. About 1/2 gal per 5 as mentioned above.

Nate,

Try RV antifreeze (the pink stuff). Pretty common up in our climate. I keep a 15 gallon container on my trucks for winterizing (or stripper boosting). Works great. About 1/2 gal per 5 as mentioned above.

Hey thanks for the info. I will definately give it a try. I've got to go do a test spot on a failing solid tonight. How's buisness been over that way? Had a bit of a slow start over this way "1st year in the biz" but things are picking up good now. I should have a web site up in the next week or two with some good before and afters. I think that should help some. One other question. What is the shelf life of stippers such as HD80 and F-18 after they have been mixed and boosted? Thanks again for the tip.

Beth,

Thanks for supplying that post. I do have a question that came from the post. What is "hang time", and where can I get it?

ya know Mike may be really onto a better quik retail solution than the Safe or Low Tox offerings. It specifically mentions on it not for radiator use as if it may not have all the extra inhibitors, etc.. Although the one I seen at Kragen is prediluted it is also only $4 compared to like $14 for Safe.

Mike, Are you doing that RV at a 10% level or are you pumping it full of caustics for downstreaming.. Think I may have a problem with my latest Safe batch with too much prop glycol to hydrox ;(

What is it?

Hang Time is a thickener - and keeps on thickening. Can clog a sprayer fast. Used to help keep product on a vertical surface. It doesn't boost.

If you want to make something cling, try a foamer.

Beth

I still have a few gallons left of Rowlett's Roof Magic... does anyone know if you can "boost" that stuff.

Once I'm done with that, I will be in the market for a new stripper, and have just started re-reading in the forums. Seems I'm getting a lot of calls for the "solids" to be stripped this year, and haven't really had time to address them...

I still have a few gallons left of Rowlett's Roof Magic... does anyone know if you can "boost" that stuff.

Once I'm done with that, I will be in the market for a new stripper, and have just started re-reading in the forums. Seems I'm getting a lot of calls for the "solids" to be stripped this year, and haven't really had time to address them...

Stay away from Solids unless the customer wants to pay $5.00+ sq/ft.

I have a chemical company here that makes me some highly potent stripper that will eat the skin off your body and it won't touch solids.

The solids I have taken off, I've had to sand them with a floor sander.

Edited by Colorado ProWash

ya know Mike may be really onto a better quik retail solution than the Safe or Low Tox offerings. It specifically mentions on it not for radiator use as if it may not have all the extra inhibitors, etc.. Although the one I seen at Kragen is prediluted it is also only $4 compared to like $14 for Safe.

Mike, Are you doing that RV at a 10% level or are you pumping it full of caustics for downstreaming.. Think I may have a problem with my latest Safe batch with too much prop glycol to hydrox ;(

The RV stuff is non-toxic to pets, unlike its green brother (ethylene glycol). Also its very inexpensive (about $2.25 gal). Readily available during the fall and winter months because of all the winterization that is done in this climate. I stock up each fall (about 30 gal) and winterize all the machinery, then in the spring all the antifreeze is used up in deck stripper mixes.

Kevin, I carry 4-15 gal tanks (all different chems), all plumbed to a manifold and then downstreamed. My stripper of choice is Timberstrip Pro boosted with the pink RV at close to 10%. Downstreamed at 20% w/5.5gpm. Too much math for me, I just know it works. If I need a real hot mix, I just drop in a feed line from a dedicated shurflo and spray the downstream mix straight on.

I've carried this mix over an entire winter (5 months), and it still performed close to the day I mixed it.

Yea Mike.. none of the ones mentioned are ethylene but rather are of the propylene glycol variety. Safe, Prestone Low Tox, or RV all utilize that safer/less toxic glycol. Point I was getting at is whether the RV is as strong since it is prediluted (that's what the jug I seen says). If you say it doesn't dilute a DS mix too much then there we go, It has to be given a chance based on both price and possability of less byproduct chems/inhibitors that we really don't need for our use.

Actually I think the Safe is too thick with byproducts and certainly does not on its own have enough water content to take many powder chems to point of saturation. I always end up having to add water anyways...