Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

"Foamer" for wood

Question

Hey Beth 'n Rod,

Was up at ACR during Friday's monsoon, and picked up a 5'er of Tom's "Booster....Surfactant System" liquid. From what I understand, it replaces the old "thickening agent" additive for NaOH, used for cling on verticals.

Tom mentioned that you guys use it. Any tips on how much to use per gal. of NaOH mix for wood?

4 answers to this question

The alkaline foaming agent works well at around 2-3oz/gal when applying by X-jet but if you are applying with a sprayer, bump it up to around 6oz/gal to get some good bubbly going.

It does help keep the chems 'wet' longer and adds some vertical cling but will still need reapplications until dwell time is complete.

Rod!~

Rod,

Thanks. I assume you transposed the numbers. Should it not be 2-3 oz. out of a pump (Delavan) and 6 oz. for an x-jet?

Hope the stuff is worth it, pretty pricey.

Not really Rick, The x-jet adds more air to the process and so it lends to the foaming capabilities.

A sprayer like a pump up or Delavan as you mentioned does not introduce enough air into it to make a good foam. So I suggested bumping it up a bit so at the tip it will start to foam a bit better. It will spit out more than spray unless you have a foamer lance. Check with the grease police on that one. :lol:

Rod!~

Rod,

Ok, gotcha'. Thanks. Hmm ... not sure I want anyone to see me with a foamer lance. Might put me in bondage in some greasy spoon. Hell on earth.

Think I'll call Tom at ACR and see what he has on hand. Thanks again.