Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Staining Brushes and Pad Recomendations

Question

Ive been using the 10" and 18" stain pads which Sealer Store hooked me up with last year. Anyone care to share what kind of pads and brushes they have in their line up this year?

Maybe some of the pros in here can share what they consider "essentials" in their staining aresensal...I would really like to expand my horizons this year with regards to staining equipment. Thanks!

26 answers to this question

Ive used the 18inch ones but I prefer to keep mostly the regular 7inch pads. They are easier to me for backbrushing after spraying railings, posts and steps. Plus they cost about 2 bucks each.

As for my "arsenal".... Other than the airless sprayer its just the regular assortment of brushes. Use mainly Wooster. The 4 inch ones are my favorite, but I keep the 6inch and a handful of 1.5inch angle cut brushes and 2inchers. I keep a few "handy pails" with liners for when something needs hand brushing

Other than that its just the regular stuff, sheets, plastic, tape, roller trays, extra spray tips, mineral spirits, wiping rags, etc, etc, etc

I have found nothing more effective for floor staining than a regular soft bristled truck wash brush. Gets in the cracks and doesn't shed on nails or split wood.

Thanks Ken. Can you post a picture of one of these? I was looking online just now and seems like everything I see is some sort of stiff poly bristle.... ANy ideas where i could find one of these online? Thanks!

Only two must have brushes in my arsenal...

-4x14 china bristle from Ace- says made in Italy. Handle screws off so head can be attached to extension pole. Holds tons of product.

-2.5" angled sash brush-Gunfighter from Kelly Moore. Is the alkyd version with china bristle. All I need to cut in anything.

Matt,

You often use RS stain? When we first started, tried the Shurline pads. They were useless, could not hold enough product. Threw them away.

Ken is right about the truck wash brushes. ACR Products carries them, there is a banner ad here on TGS. ACR is very good about shipping quickly. Have heard of guys buying those janitor type buckets on wheels and filling with RS. Roll along dipping the truck wash brush and doing deck floors in no time.

Kevin,

-4x14 china bristle from Ace- says made in Italy. Handle screws off so head can be attached to extension pole. Holds tons of product.

Are you saying these brushes are 4" by 14"? Wow, got to try one. Have a new Ace Hardware in town.

Ken or Rick, can you post a model # or description of the brush from ACR? We use to get good brushes from our local ACE made by Hoppy, but they've changed the style & vendor twice in the last two years and can't get the good brush we used to. Desperate for a new source as we're down to our last few. Thanks for your help.

On occasion, we also use lamb's wool for tough to get in areas on complicated rail assemblies. Staining pads just do not work well on aged wood.

Only two must have brushes in my arsenal...

-4x14 china bristle from Ace-

Yeah Kevin, 4"14"? What does that hold, 1/2 gal. of stain? LOL... post a link, couldnt find it on the web...

We have found that a softish concrete finishing broom (18+") on a pole is a wonderful back brusher when spraying on deck horizontals or wood siding. Swipes quite a few boards in one pass!

That's just what is written on it guys..it 4". Maybe it weigh 14oz when loaded or some such...but yea them large sized truck brushes with 14" worth of china bristle would be sweet if available..

Edited by MMI Enterprises

John:

Ken or Rick, can you post a model # or description of the brush from ACR?

Just looked and tried. The id's are unreadable. Been used more than a few times. Description is ~ 12" wide, ~ 4 inches in bristle width, and maybe 4" bristle length. Bristles are bright blue and synthetic, bristle holder is tan in color and molded plastic. Tom or Barbara Vogel at ACR will know.

John,

Probably better off to call between 8:00 and 5:00 EST. Not sure if Tom and Barb are set up with internet ordering. Tom knows a bunch, but if you know what you want, ask for Barbara! Both are terrific people, ones that you like to do business with.

Actually bought a 10" Truck Brush from HD today, going to give it a go tommorow on some floor boards. Never used it, but wondering if this approach will drip like heck out of the bucket.... DO you guys just let it drip out first back in the bucket?

Well not just softness but rather cleanability is utmost important. Some them brushes will just melt...have tried it.

Whadya mean Kevin? As in, when your cleaning up with mineral spirits? Im using RS, general clean-up w/ Min spit / simple green....

Well not just softness but rather cleanability is utmost important. Some them brushes will just melt...have tried it.

Whadya mean Kevin? As in, when your cleaning up with mineral spirits? Im using RS, general clean-up w/ Min spit / simple green....

Yea I melted a cheap walmart one with spirits. Plastic bristles just shriveled up. Them china bristle in the paint brushes for oil don't do that. Although I have deco crete supplier just up street that I work for on occassion I've neglected to note what type bristle is on their finishing tools. I would imagine the norm would be an organic bristle like found on the better push brooms. I'll go take a pic of what I got..

ps- Ok..on left is the 4" china for oil from Ace that has the screw off handle, then the gunfighter cut in brush that I really luv. On right is cheap melted vehicle brush and I threw in what I think was a latex brush that I obviously muffed up by using it for oil.

100_2418.jpg

Edited by MMI Enterprises

Kevin is the neighbor that you dread when he comes over to ask if he can borrow a tool.

I recommend using a better quality truck brush. I prefer a finer bristle as it holds more stain (and yes, it does drip but that is easily controlled and brushed over)

..just so you know, hey I don't really use that truck brush for stain!! LOL :).. One day the cheap shurline applicators that go on extension pole for backbrushing just fell apart on me as usual and so I grabbed the next best thing....