Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

Not heat...help

I've got a Hydrotek sc3005. Last night I was washing a grocery store and the hot water quit on me. I'm not sure what it is, the tank of diesel is full, when I turn on the burner and pull the trigger it fires for about 5 seconds then quits. I need help quick, I've got a parking garage this weekend and I need this machine to be putting out hot water...thanks.

Make sure thermostat is up.

Check to make sure the little reed thing on the flow/pressure switch is not loose and not sliding in and out from vibrations. Don't mean to scare ya but, Make sure blower is blowing when it does fire and but goes off when not firing as the blower usually mechanically powers the fuel pump. If the fuel solinoid is miswired it may be activated without the igniter prongs firing. IMHO any machine wired as such would be an accident waiting to happen as you can have fuel flooding your whole boiler making for an ugly sight once the ignition issue is fixed. Remember this is only IF machine is wired incorrectly...Just the same I would stop spraying with heater circuitry in the 'on' position until your sure the blower is not blowing and solinoid not activated.

So anyways, you can bypass the flow or pressure switches temporarily or anything else electricaly in the loop until you figure out which is causing issue. If your really stressed for time take it to a shop.

Could be electical things specific to that machine but really sounds like a sporadic switch or fuel nozzle/spark prong adjustment situation to me.

Edited by MMI Enterprises

Thanks guys, I call Tom too much, I hate to bother him. I just ordered a new fuel filter, that should be here today. It's not the battery, it's not a 12V burner. I had a blockage in the coil so I haven't used hot water since January. I fixed the blockage and the other night was the first time I've used it. It ran fine for about 1/2 hr, then nothing.

Do you have schematic to know and see how the electric loop works? Have you gained access to the fuel nozzle area..doing so can easily confirm fuel and spark?

Some ya can drop the spark transformer, yank fuel nozzle, and rig quikly enough for a test firing...BUT really there are other ways to confirm things. Like you can put hand up top to see if blower is turning. If it is upon trigger pull then you generally have a complete circuit going through the spark igniters and such also pretty much eliminates flow or pressure switches too. What that would imply is you got no fuel coming out nozzle due to nozzle clog, line/filter clog, or broken fuel solinoid or fuel pump. Comes down to deduction but I certainly wouldn't go buying parts and stabbing at it...For instance, rather than waiting on a fuel filter just unhook brass line going from fuel pump to the igniters and aim it into a jar to see what ya get.

Here is generic schematic:

typicalburnerwiring.jpg