Rising Fuel Cost Evaluation  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Rising Fuel Cost Evaluation

• Still on Target
    • Already Blown Away
    • Have not thought about it

Question

16 answers to this question

$2.00/gallon won't be a huge jump for me...I'm already paying between $1.70 and $1.80.

In a BUSY week I may burn through 80 gallons of gas...I'd say I average 45 to 50 gallons/week...So that's an extra $10-$12.00 jump per week if it hits $2.00. I can live with that. I could live with it more if it would go back down to $1.15 or so like it was 5 years ago. Hell, I'd be happy with $1.50.

I like an idea someone mentioned somewhere...we ought to just tell OPEC what we're going to pay, and if they don't like it, to hell with them...Drill ANWR and offshore and begin seriously looking at alternate energy. Screw OPEC.

Sounds good Ron but it depends on when you are actually going to be here. The end of the month i'll be in Utah at the cabin with the family playing in the snow before it melts. Let me know when you have dates.

Did any of you people received that mass email going around to STOP BUYING gasoline from Exxon/Mobil??

Basically, what it says is Exxon/Mobil is the largest oil company in the world. Last year, an email went around to tell people to NOT buy gasoline AT ALL on a certain day--Well that was just about useless, as we all NEED gas.

This one says to buy gas, just NOT from Exxon or Mobil stations. If all people tell 10 people, and they tell 10 and so on, hundreds of MILLIONS of people nationwide could be reached in under 2 weeks time.

So now, if exxon/mobil sales drop tremendously, they will be forced to lower prices to increase business and competitors will be forced to lower THEIR prices to maintain business.

Anyway, thats what the email says. I personally NEVER goto Exxon and there arent too many Mobil stations around me. I will make an effort to stay away from those two in the event that this might actually work. They would have us believe that $1.60 a gallon is a GREAT PRICE, since the end of last summer hit over $1.85..

I personally think it's sickening whats going on with the world and in this country, and gasoline is just one issue.

-JC

The hundreds of millions of people being reached in two weeks time is a neat idea, with only a couple problems...First, there are only about 300 million people in the entire US, and that includes children. How many of those are adults who buy a significant amount of gas? 150 million? Of those, how many have email addresses? Of those who do have email addresses, how many are actually going to take, and stick with, the actions suggested? And of those, how many actually buy a significant portion of their fuel from Mobil or Exxon?

Who do you think sets the prices? Do you really think that US oil companies get together and all decide that now is a good time to jump the price $0.20/gallon? I'm sure a small part of the oil price blame lies at the feet of the oil companies, but most of it, to the best of my knowledge, belongs to OPEC.

If enough people actually did boycott Exxon and Mobile, who is that going to hurt? Many small station owners who have no control over the price of gas. Many small station employees...If this were to actually work, you'd have stations closing all over the nation...and THAT won't be good for the economy.

All fuel for the most part is the same regardless of what name is on it. The fuel trucks run from down south in Southern Maryland to Baltimore at several different terminals. They all fill up based on price for their companies and haul it back to their stations. I use citgo all the time with my washers and just about anything else for the trucks. Right now I am using BJ's due to their at 1.61 if your a member. All the other stations are at 1.69 and up. Needless to say, the same tankers that deliver to BJ's, deliver to 3 other stations. Shell, Shell and Exxon/Mobile but it still says Exxon. So there ya go. Just take a look around you will see the same thing. Another example would be Burch Oil. They own 5 stations. 3 of the five are shells and the other two are Mobile. They have their own fleet of trucks that make that trip to baltimore daily then deliver to all five. So are ya buyin shell or mobile. All the same. Period

My fuel is at 1.63 for 87 octane, and rising. Scary at the pump when I'm filling up my van at 32 gallons or so a pop, but not really affecting the bottom line much yet. I'm raising prices faster than the gas station, trying to get "there" first...

$1.55 today, up from $1.51 last week.

Here's a little perspective on current prices: During the last "gas crisis" in 1979/80, I managed a Union 76 station in Milwaukee, WI. As I recall, this was when prices first went over $1/gal - up to about $1.20. Adjusted for inflation, current prices are unbelievably low...even at $2 or $3/gal. There aren't many things that haven't doubled, tripled or ?? since then.

That's something I've pondered also...When you look at the past 25 or 30 years, gas really hasn't risen all that much...If it was $1.00 in 1979, and was adjusted for inflation by even 3% per year, it would be at $2.42/gallon right now.

Soo...we really don't have a lot to complain about looking at it from that perspective.

Average prices in the Atlanta, GA area (GA supposedly has the lowest state tax imposed on fuel) are $1.599, $1.699, and $1.799 for 87,89, and 92 octane fuels. Sams club has the cheapest around at $1.449 and $1.629 for 87 and 92 octane; they don't sell 89 here.

A few years back, Rush made a pretty good statement. Milk generally costs around $3 per gallon; alcohol, depending upon the quality and concentration, is generally $20 per gallon and up (WAY up for the good stuff I like!!!!). Coca Cola's Dasani brand runs several dollars a gallon for WATER!!!!!! So $1.80 just isn't too bad, considering all of the refinement processes required to get it. It does hurt when we have to use it in such demand, though. I guess that's why everyone complains. Unfortunately, it will affect almost everything else. Shipping companies must incur the cost and they will pass it on to their customers (food, toy, clothing, etc. manufacturers). Airlines are going to have to increase their fares to accomodate. Fortunately, the cold season is subsiding for much of the nation, so heating costs won't be too bad. Instead of whining about the rising costs, I plan to support the companies working on alternative fuel sources.

Ryan H.

joe:

Cool, thanks! However, I wind up fueling up where it is most convenient, especially pulling a 14' trailer. I actually wind up paying a little more for the convenience of gassing up where I can easily get in and out of.