Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

10 Reasons Why We Love Ready Seal

Question

10. Ron M. does not know what wood is. No need to spell.

9. With 74 years of experience, Diamond Jim has yet to learn back brushing.

8. When it rains, 50+ yr. old contractors can take the day off and drink lots of beer. A perfect excuse to pursue the good life.

7. Customers scratch their heads when the stain materials line item bill is over over $500. Seems reasonable for moisturized wood.

6. It is made in Texas. From black gold. Sam Houston and George Bush were made in Texas.

5. Beth 'n Rod never tried to distribute it. K. Fenner knows it washes off of hardwoods. Kevin in Ca. is stumped.

4. Don ?, the owner of the company, builds orphanages in Mexico. Stops by the plant once in a while, and goes back looking for Pancho Villa's offspring. Has nice hats and t-shirts. Does not yet know what a website is.

3. No one in Michigan uses it. Cannot complete a deck in a day, let alone an hour. Contractors make more money when it appears that they actually do some work.

2. Peirce Fitchett, the "National Sales Manager" is the best name in the business and has the easiest job in the world. F. Scott Fitzgerald would be jealous of a character with that moniker.

1. The product never changes. It is boring. No VOC stuff, no surprises. RS is comfort food for wood. Ask OPEC. Enough said.

Edited by RPetry
Ron M. spells better on the fly

22 answers to this question

That was cute! :)

Beth

Beth,

Hah, my little wood minx! Wait for the next 10. Coming up when the frosted mugs cool a bit longer in the freezer!

Just kidding. Your servant,

Matthew,

Hah, I'm about due for a major infraction and point penalty on TGS! Just got a shipment of 10 gals. in today of WT for a mahogany job. Third try, maybe it will last more than a year.

Your not doing to bad if you can get a full year out of it on Mahogany.

I have some ReadySeal samples Peirce sent to me, I need to give them a try.

I just started using Woodrich instead of WoodTux because it's easier to apply. I think it's a bit pricey though.

Edited by Colorado ProWash

Your not doing to bad if you can get a full year out of it on Mahogany.

Matthew,

Great. Now someone tells me. This is a 2.3K job. WT will not last more than a year on mahogany in NJ? Where the frick is Russell. Hello? Help me here.

Its all Ken's fault. A picture of WoodZotic on ipe' sold the job. I'm going to church and pray.

It's not because the stain is failing you. Hardwoods require annual maintenance. Next time you give a bid for a hardwood deck give them a break if they sign an annual maintenance agreement. I have two hardwood decks I do every year both pay really well. Usually these customers are an easy sell because if they can afford such a nice wood they obviously have money to maintain it.

Matthew,

Great. Now someone tells me. This is a 2.3K job. WT will not last more than a year on mahogany in NJ? Where the frick is Russell. Hello? Help me here.

Its all Ken's fault. A picture of WoodZotic on ipe' sold the job. I'm going to church and pray.

I thought it was pretty understood that one year on hardwood is normal

What lifespan were you hoping for on it?

Matthew,

Not true, at least here in NJ. Ipe' yes, real mahogany no. Every two years with RS.

Yeah, RS is kind of dull looking when applied. But if you do it right, you call back customers on the 2nd anniversary.

Matthew,

Not true, at least here in NJ. Ipe' yes, real mahogany no. Every two years with RS.

Yeah, RS is kind of dull looking when applied. But if you do it right, you call back customers on the 2nd anniversary.

If the mahogany has aged some you may get two years from it.

Charlie,

True mahogany is not a "hardwood" like teak or ipe'. If the wood is more than a year old or so and exposed to weather, it will take a good amount of paraffinic oil stain. So will ipe' if left to age without stain. We have RS mahogany jobs doing just fine at the 2 year mark.

Ask Jim Foley. Or Peirce Fitchett. Or Don M?. Or Matt Johnson. Or Tom Vogel. Or even Beth 'n Rod. They know.

Well, that can't hurt any. Flick the mineral spirits rag while you are there and chant a little. ;) Might add to the experience. :lol:

Beth :cup: :seeya:

Hah! Thats a good one. Think I'll find a Wicca coven, more appropriate. Do my absolutions on All Hallows Eve. That was around the time last year when WT finally dried on ipe'!

Hey Rick,

I know you were trying to keep it an even number but I thought of reason #11:

It's a moisturizer and a magic act all in one! Now you see it, now you don't!

:lol:

Rod!~

Hi Rod,

Tired of wood yet? It's only early June and I am beat to a pulp.

Afraid the old diatribe, aka. "Now you see it, now you don't" is nonsense. At least for those that prep the wood right, have and know how to use a moisture meter, and do not go cheap on stain quantity.

Charlie,

True mahogany is not a "hardwood" like teak or ipe'. If the wood is more than a year old or so and exposed to weather, it will take a good amount of paraffinic oil stain. So will ipe' if left to age without stain. We have RS mahogany jobs doing just fine at the 2 year mark.

Ask Jim Foley. Or Peirce Fitchett. Or Don M?. Or Matt Johnson. Or Tom Vogel. Or even Beth 'n Rod. They know.

Hey your word is good enough for me. I figured since it was one of those exotics it was lumped in similarity to ipe. Never done mahog before

Ah I LOVE IT!..

Rick maybe that job would have been a superb Armclark test. :) ..Does how easy a stain come out of a stir stick mean anything to ya'll?. The Armclark was absolutely unreal.

Kevin,

You must be able to read my mind. Was close to doing just that. The only reason I contributed to ESI coffers was the job was sold on that WoodZotic look.

BTW, we do not use stir sticks for stain. We use Ready Seal.

Finished that WRC job with A-C rustic brown last week. Have pics and comments, but just has to wait for a while. So busy, have not reconciled the past 2 months of bank statements.

Hey your word is good enough for me. I figured since it was one of those exotics it was lumped in similarity to ipe. Never done mahog before

Charlie,

Yeah, in the South you may not get as many "exotic" jobs. Over the past few years, we have been working on a lot more mahogany. Most of it real mahogany, some of it Asian knockoffs. Seems to be getting more popular around these parts. What recession? People are spending a fortune for high end decks in this part of Central NJ.

Love to work on the good woods but it is odd, PT SYP is still the best money maker for us.

Sorry Rick,

Just having fun with ya. No harm intended.

Rod!~

ps, not tired of wood, just the tennis elbow that has been plaguing me since January. I love my Job! :)

Edited by Beth n Rod