Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Ever have a deck you just know is gonna be a challenge?

Question

Immediate issues:

- Cedar (the softest wood known to man)

- Multiple coats of waterborne Behr acrylic

- Landscaping

- Pool

- Second story

This beast is 90 feet long, has three trellises, built in planter boxes and benches. Did I mention acrylic? I normally wouldn't take on a project like this at this time of the year but I wanted it for my portfolio. A couple of guys actualy bid under $2000. We're done the stripping and it was no small task. I was out on the first day of the project. 16 hours to strip it completely.

For the stripping formula call or visit Scott at www.theprosealerstore.com. Thanks for the heads up, Scott.. worked like a charm.

Here is the whole thing in a glance. To put it in perspective I'll follow with a closeup or two of certain sections.

full_view.jpg

See that far left corner in the picture above? Here is a closer view to help you get a feel for the size of this deck.

a_sliver.jpg

32 answers to this question

Not much to it. I have to thank my worker for this. He applied HD80 to a thick Behr strip on a hot day and he was having trouble getting the stain off. To keep it wet he applied the Powersolve Injectable stripper on top. The combination of the two works wonders! We so far only mentioned it to Ken and Jarrod and both tried it with phenomenal results! I think the injectable properties and extra sodium hyroxide boosts the HD80's effectiveness.

Interesting! Thanks!

Beth

Thanx Scott..

Dan I view it as such.. is similar to when I shoot my vinyl floor stripper over other stuff that didn't quite cut the mustard. First stuff softens and gets it going then the secondary stuff along with water kicks it over to emulsion. My suppliers always stress that ya got to have enough water for it to happen. Is not unlike when yer trying to disolve a chem and ya have to get to the saturation point.. :)

Sounds like you could have just 'boosted' the HD80 with glycol originally - like has been discussed in past threads.

Trust me, Scott's recipie works better and is faster.

I am going to have to look into boosting HD-80. I had a deck this weekend that left me with a few spots of solid stain after stripping the semi transparent that was applied on top of it. The semi stain came off like a charm though. All 3 coats of it. Took forever.