Sign in to follow this  
MMI Enterprises

For the Defelt Challenged..

Question

Just can't see trying to defelt the large flat deck areas with itsy bitsy hand grinder equipment if job suits so we videod another option I've mentioned before..

This deck furred up pretty bad after removing multiple coats of acrylic. I'll save the strip pics and videos for another thread..

100_2594.jpg ..still a little wet mind you, but furry none the less

For a mild defelting we first mounted a mild nylon brush on the 20" machine for mainly the edges.. Helps to have the weight involved of this larger/older Clark model. With this type brush or a more aggressive Nylogrit or Stratagrit brush (Kev's Velvet Elvis) the torque involved to user is substantial so I do no advise for small people.

[yt]D1_U0yRZQLI[/yt]

Enter a better option with same machine:

Enjoy!

[YT]9U6ApOIrido[/YT]

We were utilizing what is called a 3m HiPro black pad driven by the brush. They are very open weaved and are the roughest pads made(for wax stripping usually). When new the bite is abit much but since we run them on vinyl or concrete strip jobs abit first we can get away with them on decks. They pretty much mildly sand the floor or knock off the fur real quik. One pad, one 1k sq. ft. deck and it will still do plenty more work. Nails were sunk with palm nailer to be able to use the pad, otherwise ya got to stick with brush.

When pads are used (and handle adjusted correctly) machine torque is minimized. I would not advise under a 17" machine.

Con's you ask?..

1. You must be able to get it on the deck which can be a challenge if there are no walks.

2. The bigger stronger the motor the more likely you'll flip breakers.

3. You'll want to use it all the time...

One defelted deck:

100_2629.jpg

Edited by Beth n Rod
added you tube tags vor in thread video :)

11 answers to this question

I've been using one for a few years. Soft woods are much easier to do than Hard wood. Cupping on 6 inch Hard woods come into play and become an issue.

Edited by James

or maybe not built in, but nice details. thx for the video demos Kevin, makes me wanna fur up a deck real bad and call you over to bring that thing out! My floor boards have been good to me this season, so far... getting fuzzy on my verts with a good many others... Looking forward to giving the SUPER pricy Harbor Freight polisher a go w/ 3M's next week.

I have a 75 pound and a 130LB . The 75 is 13 or 15 inch the 130 is 17 inches for the driver. I use different types of 3m course pads depending if is soft or hard wood

I use a dry wall sanding screen on a pole to sand decks when necessary. It has a universal joint at the connection to the pole and its just like mopping the floor.

Can't say exactly how much it weighs but I throw it in the back of the truck on my own most the time simply due to fact that I don't pull trailer to job sites except for wash days. Not sure I could do that with James' 130lber. Seems about same weight as aircompressor when the boy and I lift either of them in and out. If doing vinyl or concrete jobs with it I just roll it up ramp with the larger scrubbers. This model is a Clark 20" Floor Maintainer. Older and heavier the better I say as the motor will likely be more heavy duty and withstand abuse and torque.