Sign in to follow this  
clt984

Deck Stain Advice

I have been researching the wood restoration processes and available products on this and other forums for the last 2 weeks. My conclusion is that ReadySeal, Wood-Tux, Woodrich, and TWP tend to be the prevalent choices by professionals that post on these sites. F & P may be in the running too, but it seems like that hasn't been discussed as much in the last couple of years compared to the others.

Which of the products above would a first-time user have the most success from?

After my research, I realize this is a loaded question and that skill and experience with evaluating deck conditions and sun exposure may be a big factor in choosing a product. I also realize that the products listed above may not be an apples-apples comparison. The info I have comes solely from 2 weeks my reading (and my questionable interpretation) of answers to questions like this and I have no background in wood care. That's why I'm asking professionals for advice.

I am also considering hiring a professional. I am simply exploring all of my options - DIY just happens to be one of them.

The deck is pressure treated lumber. I am in the southeast and the deck gets up to 5 hours of afternoon sun.

I'm going to recomend Olympic 3yr toner or 5yr toner. It is water based and easily cleaned up. It is available at Lowes stores. I have switched to using this product exclusively in my business. I am NOT disputing the effectiveness or value of any other product mentioned on these boards. I am simply giving my personal endorcement for the Olympic product. This is only my second yr using it but the staying power looks good from decks I did last year so far. Good luck with your project.

CLT984,

I have had great success w/ RS over the years. It is very easy to apply and cleanup is a breeze.

You can apply the first coat to see how much the deck will drink up and cure for an hour or so to apply 2nd coat. Most of the wood in your area is PT Pine or cedar and RS is perfect for that type of wood. Providing you do a proper strip and and brighten prep it will treat you well and look great. No glare, just glow. IMO obviously, oil based is the way to go with the moisture in your region!!

Good luck.

Edited by Adrian
adding text

I'm going to recommend Olympic 3yr toner or 5yr toner. It is water based and easily cleaned up. It is available at Lowes stores. I have switched to using this product exclusively in my business. I am NOT disputing the effectiveness or value of any other product mentioned on these boards. I am simply giving my personal endorsement for the Olympic product. This is only my second yr using it but the staying power looks good from decks I did last year so far. Good luck with your project.

I have been using Oly Max Toner for about 6 years. I love it and so do my customers. Unlike semi-transparent stains, the Toners (green cans) do not leave a film on the wood, they merely add color to it. No shine. If the deck gets dirty after a year or two, the stain can be cleaned (without pressure) and still looks great.

For homeowner applications, a pump-up sprayer (a cheap one), 6" foam roller and a brush work best. No lap marks. Very user friendly.

For homeowner applications, a pump-up sprayer (a cheap one), 6" foam roller and a brush work best. No lap marks. Very user friendly.

Haaa...green toner and pump-up's.

HOer's can find anything unfriendly John..

When I walked in on this job there was lap marks too.

turner1.jpg

Edited by MMI Enterprises

Haaa...green toner and pump-up's.

HOer's can find anything unfriendly John..

When I walked in on this job there was lap marks too.

turner1.jpg

That is surely a mess. A tarp would certainly have helped. I doubt if that is Olympic Toner though. Having personally applied it to hundreds of decks over the years, I can tell.

John you must be using the prduct actually called Wood Toner under the toner section(3rd one down?) :

Olympic Stain - Toners

This guy had used Maximum Waterproofing Sealant under the toner section (1st product listed). We had the can there as reference.

Here are pics of where he put on front fence showing how that one can lap or leave shine if applied incorrectly:

3d89ab1c.jpg

3d519ede.jpg

Here are some pictures. Some cleaning has been started on the floor of the upper deck using DeckBrite. My plan would be to hit it again with the cleaner.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks - I'm on a lake. That brings up another topic that I've been thinking about but didn't include in the original question - cleaners and stains that shouldn't be used on the dock since it's over the water.

Don't think I'd have guessed that to be pressure treated..in seeing first pic it looks pretty dang good. Did you say if there had been anything on this deck before?....last pic looks to me to be showing something or other.

On the dock.. maybe just stick with product you know you won't ever have to strip or use strong chems on.

A determined individual is able to mess anything up! lol As for the shine, I've never seen that color in the toner. Possibly the brown over some existing stain?

John you must be using the prduct actually called Wood Toner under the toner section(3rd one down?) :

Olympic Stain - Toners

This guy had used Maximum Waterproofing Sealant under the toner section (1st product listed). We had the can there as reference.

Here are pics of where he put on front fence showing how that one can lap or leave shine if applied incorrectly:

3d89ab1c.jpg

3d519ede.jpg

Look John.. I would just like it if you could be clear here on which of the 3 products on Olympic's 'toner' section that you have been refering to. All three have the word toner on the can. One is predominately a green colored can (max) and another has Toner written in big bold lettering... 1,2, or 3 please...

Thanx now :)

Color is simple redwood color.

Lol I've never actually seen anything other than the green can Oly Max Toner (1) - OK?

The "shiny" pic does not look like Oly Max Toner, but the lighter fence does. The stuff in the green can really tints the wood, though it does offer UV protection and won't (really!) gray for 3 years. When re-coating is need, downstream stripper to remove or even add a second coat after a low-pressure wash. The only complaint I have ever gotten is that its not dark enough, though that is very rare.

Look John.. I would just like it if you could be clear here on which of the 3 products on Olympic's 'toner' section that you have been refering to. All three have the word toner on the can. One is predominately a green colored can (max) and another has Toner written in big bold lettering... 1,2, or 3 please...

Thanx now :)

Color is simple redwood color.

Ok, I've engaged a pro because I conceded that I don't have the time to do this right. The deck has been washed and the pro is waiting for the evening thundershowers to give us a break.

I am feeling a little concerned about some of what I am seeing as a result of the cleaning. I am not sure how concerned I should be since I've never been through this process before. The pro has not seen it since it dried, so I don't know their stance yet.

I'm not going to include what I think - I'd like to get some detached professional opinions.

Any advice?

Thanks

post-4015-137772210794_thumb.jpg

post-4015-1377722108_thumb.jpg

post-4015-137772210805_thumb.jpg

post-4015-137772210807_thumb.jpg

post-4015-13777221081_thumb.jpg