Sign in to follow this  
FLORIN

Whats Going On Here ???

Question

This is a deck ive been working on. It was in pretty bad shape. It had on it what im guessing is acrylic cause it came off in pieces like gooey skinny tape. i removed all surface sealant except for this spot i pic.

my dilema is there is quite a bit of discoloration in the wood that to me still looks like stain but for the life of me will not come up. I've applied stripper on this deck three times and it wont budge a bit. Everytime i went hotter to the point i am getting really fuzzy.

maybe you guys could shed light what im doing wrong. Im wanting to put on a transparent stain similar in color as wtw warm honey gold. maybe a little darker.

First pics are the befores. second set are after strip and brighten

8 answers to this question

this deck has wand marks all over the stairs. even a zero tip slash that i have to sand out from previous attempt of homeowner resto. im thinking they did a botch clean strip before and just applied new stain on half a$$ stripp.

is the wood cedar? the soft woods have larger cells and the stain penetrates deeper. I would use a paint scraper on the thick spot near the post in the one picture. I'll bet they are amazed at what the deck looks like now that you have stripped most of the old layers!!! $$$$$$$$ nice work I would recommend a semi that will hide some of the discoloration like a cedar color

Edited by jeffex11

As you know,cedar is quite loose and will absorb deeply. This is where product was applied heavily and is best removed by sanding. You did a great job on the strip and I'd say you got the industry standard of 99% removal.

Rod!~

My guess is that is Behr and Behr has dye in it. You will not get it all out. On the bright side.. it is usually not visible with a tinted sealer.

if so atleast I'm not the only one dealing with the joys of stripping a behr covered deck