Sign in to follow this  
814jeffw

Artillery Fungus Removal

Question

Just wondering if anyone is offering artillery fungus removal as a part of their services? It can be removed without damaging the surface, but it takes a very detailed and targeted approach, was debating on throwing out an add or two to see what response I would get and was wondering if anyone here does it at all. I flat rate everything in the normal realm of the pressure washing business but seeing how this is somewhat different method than washing I figured to charge $20-$30 an hour for this service with a two hour minimum fee. I've seen this stuff so bad that I'm sure someone would get it done, and then remove the mulch and go with stone. Would only have to be done once.

Jeff

95 answers to this question

It can be removed within the first week or so but after that, the enzymes have had the chance to take hold on the surface and discolor it. Then it becomes a serious chem application and brushing with a bleach follow up. All of which are not necessarily good for either vinyl or aluminum siding.

Even afterwards, the results are not always complete as remnants are still evident.

Forget E.I.F.S., Stucco or Dryvit which are virtually the same thing branded differently but easily damaged when trying to remove hardened artillery fungus.

Others may have their ideas to share but I for one don't even bother to offer the service because most homeowners aren't willing to give up the $$$ to have it done.

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod
additional info

Actually Beth, I wouldn't have posted this if nothing would take it off. I was just wondering if anyone else has figured out the way to do it and if they were offering it at all. But what I've been using does indeed take it all off, even on a texture like vinyl, and without damage. Also tried it on properties I have been to a few years ago, so I know it wasn't fresh fungus. Can't even tell where it was at on the siding. I've been trying it on every house I see it, and it works every time, so now I may offer it as an added service.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

But what I've been using does indeed take it all off, even on a texture like vinyl, and without damage. Also tried it on properties I have been to a few years ago, so I know it wasn't fresh fungus. Can't even tell where it was on the siding.

Jeff

Ok, you must have seen this coming...inquiring minds want to know!

We don't focus on this part since we have so much in Wood Restoration to keep us busy and the HW is an add on to compliment the service. Oxidation removal is the only other service we offer in HW'ing.

Do tell.

Rod!~

I will give it up, but I have a feeling someone on here has also figured it out, I will wait and see, But I will tell you that it works EVERY time, and without any damage or shadows of any kind. Will definitely be a specialized service, but like I said, once it's done it can be prevented simply by getting rid of the mulch and replacing with something like stone. May peak some interest in certain homeowners where it is a serious eye sore, and also maybe realtors. In fact I will be contacting the realtors I deal with now for roof cleaning and let them know that this service is available.

Jeff

Spider poop and artillery fungus look alike. :)

Spider poop comes off no problem.

What residue is left behind when you do get the artillery fungus off?

Beth

This will be my 12th. year in business Beth, I know the difference. There is nothing left behind, you cant even see a shadow!!

Jeff

I will give it up, but I have a feeling someone on here has also figured it out, I will wait and see, But I will tell you that it works EVERY time, and without any damage or shadows of any kind. Will definitely be a specialized service, but like I said, once it's done it can be prevented simply by getting rid of the mulch and replacing with something like stone. May peak some interest in certain homeowners where it is a serious eye sore, and also maybe realtors. In fact I will be contacting the realtors I deal with now for roof cleaning and let them know that this service is available.

Jeff

Great, but don't keep it a secret. What is your process?

Rod!~

When you take off spider poop there is no residue. When you manage to pop a piece of artillery fungus off there is a small ring left behind. Next time before you wash pop one off with your finger nail....and make a note of what you see.

And please - tell is what this method is because some of us have been looking for the answer to AF for years.....

Beth :groovy3:

Great, but don't keep it a secret. What is your process?

Rod!~

I am going to tell it Rod, simply because I come here to learn, and to not give back wouldn't be right. We're all here to help each other,..right!! I still think though that someone else may know, we will see!!

Jeff

When you take off spider poop there is no residue. When you manage to pop a piece of artillery fungus off there is a small ring left behind. Next time before you wash pop one off with your finger nail....and make a note of what you see.

And please - tell is what this method is because some of us have been looking for the answer to AF for years.....

Beth :groovy3:

I know what I'm looking at Beth, I REALLY do, it is not spider poop, spider poop comes off with general cleaning.

Jeff

No matter what it is..... IMO $20/hr is crazy. If you can get something off that nobody else can, then it is worth a PREMIUM. A simple house wash generally nets most of us $150/hr+, so why would we sell a PREMIUM service for even less? AF removal would be a $200 add on if I was getting it off. I hope you let us all know so that we can start up selling it over our competitors. LOL

I'm with you Beth and Rod. I'm sitting here reading this with anticipation as I keep scrolling down hoping I will finally learn the secrete to removing AF.

Now I have to leave to go to work...I will be thinking about this all day anxiously wanting to get back to find out what to do with artillery fungus.

No matter what it is..... IMO $20/hr is crazy. If you can get something off that nobody else can, then it is worth a PREMIUM. A simple house wash generally nets most of us $150/hr+, so why would we sell a PREMIUM service for even less? AF removal would be a $200 add on if I was getting it off. I hope you let us all know so that we can start up selling it over our competitors. LOL

The reason for hourly is simply because it will have to be felt out and then maybe flat rated, because I definitely prefer flat rate over hourly. But first you have to know how far you can get in a certain period of time. Would be more likened to a painting service I guess, and they charge hourly. I told Beth in a PM, so when she's done testing it she will let me know her findings. Can't hardly charge $200.00 flat fee, it just varies to much, maybe more than that and sometimes maybe a lot less. But I hear ya!!

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

You read my mind, and beat me to the same responce. If you offer something that no one else can do, the price should go way up, not down.

just got a little bit of their stuff, and Safe restore was one of the things I'm trying. It defenitely takes rust stain off of vinyl and I did a test spot on chalky brick, and it cleaned that up very well. I will try the artillary thing next time I have a HW

You read my mind, and beat me to the same responce. If you offer something that no one else can do, the price should go way up, not down.

You guys aren't quite getting it, you have to understand that the whole house will not be done, you can't compare apples to oranges. This will be altogether different than house washing. You can't justify charging $150.00 an hour for something that takes very little effort and only one product. You don't need a pressure washing rig to do this. But, in reality you guys can charge as you please, but the guy charging $20-$30 dollars an hour will do ok and take all the work in this part of the washing business.

Jeff

Don't have a house on the books to be washed that has it right now. Might be a while...

Beth

Oh Beth, I thought you would be able to give it a try on a friends house to at least see for your self. Did you get my PM?

Jeff

this was off the eacochem website:

ARTILLERY FUNGUS

Use SafeRestore straight. Spray on two applications without rinsing between applications and finish by rinsing with a hose or pressure washer.

anything to it?

rando

I think that if it were saferestore the word would have been out by now!!

Jeff

Yes I sure did. :)

Thanks!

Beth

Have you figured out what it is yet? I feel certain you will, and you will also be surprised at how it works!! Let me know please!! Every one here is counting on you to give an opinion!!

Jeff