Sign in to follow this  
MudDuck

What sprayer to use?

Question

I'm going to bite the bullet and get a sprayer for deck staining. What would be your recommendation. I'm looking at some of the Apex airless sprayers at Lowe's for a starter. (should I upgrade the gun on it?) Are there any reason "not" to use one of these? I know about the Deckster but I don't necessarily want to spend that much at this point but is it really functionally any better and why. RS and Oly max is what I would be spraying normally. I really know nothing about sprayers so any advice is greatly appreciated.

26 answers to this question

If I were using Ready Seal I would get the Deckster. Because you need something that puts out a substantial amount of stain. I don't know much about Olympic stains. But the Deckster can be used to apply any penetrating oil stain.

I just ordered a brand new graco 190es, olympic sprays pretty well through an airless.. I will try ready seal down the road as most everyone on here swears by it..

Ditto with Matt above on the Deckster and Ready Seal. Airless for solid stains.

Do know of a multiple location wood company that uses Ready Seal with custom Titan airless units for verticals and truck wash brushes for the floors. They apparently knock out jobs faster than I can do an estimate!

Doug,

Probably a 3 or 411 on up...seems most go by which product they using and then application requirements such as overhead or close in work versus wide open decking.

(first number dictates fan size x2 then the last two numbers is orifice/flow size. -i.e. 3= 6", 4= 8", 5=10").

You might like a 415 for Omax.

This was a good tip selection thread : http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/wood-cleaning-restoration-decks-fences-etc/12668-spray-tip.html

Edited by MMI Enterprises

For Ready Seal with a Titan I would probably go on up to a .17 tip. Turning the pressure way down, just above clean, maybe even changing the filter to a coarse in the gun and pump. I use my Titan for thicker high resin stains and also solid stains.

Rick, I use an 18" truck brush for backbrushing, you can get a 24". IMO it's the best thing for that, better than the 18" speed mop pad. Never gets hung on splinters, gets between the boards better and holds more stain. If anyone is interested they can call Paul at E-Spec he has pretty much any truck brush that you would want.

Kirk, just make sure you apply enough Ready Seal to the wood. With an airless you're probably gonna have to apply 3 coats to saturate the wood, maybe more. Soak the floor then back pad.

Kirk, just make sure you apply enough Ready Seal to the wood. With an airless you're probably gonna have to apply 3 coats to saturate the wood, maybe more. Soak the floor then back pad.

Great advice. The first time you treat softwoods with Ready Seal, douse it. Get as much stain into the wood as it will take.

2 yrs. later, a decent amount on the horizontal wood, usually 50-60% stain quantity of the initial application. Softwoods only. Hardwoods much less stain.

Not sure about a pad, try natural bristle brushes. Big ones.

Thanks guys. I was wondering about the amount I was putting on with the sprayer on the last job I did with it. Seemed light. Other jobs I have done with it seemed to be saturating better. I swear on this last deck I did they used the same wood they make pallets out of. Looked OK after I was done though. You said use a natural bristle brush, you mean like a hogs hair? I tried using an el-cheap o truck brush (synthetic from HD) on a shake roof a couple weeks ago and it just wouldn't move enough stain so I sprayer it. That right there made me VERY happy I had an airless!

Kirk

... You said use a natural bristle brush, you mean like a hogs hair? I tried using an el-cheap o truck brush (synthetic from HD) on a shake roof a couple weeks ago and it just wouldn't move enough stain so I sprayer it. ...

Kirk,

Yes, the real china bristle brushes are made from hog hair and the material comes from China. Liebco among others makes good ones. Quite expensive, but IMO worth it. Will last a very long time if cared for after use.

No one has cominted on the Apex from Lowes...Hmmm..It was like 300.00 for the cheapo. I tried to put Oly Max 5yr Nat Cedar on a deck last week w/ a pump up and it just didn't work so I went to brush. Wheeew!!! 700 ft plus rails... Still didn't like it, it was too orange, blochi and ran after shines like an olympic trainer..The cust didn't like it either but I had most of it done before he saw it. (note he picked it out and brought it to location which is 2nd home, said thats what he wanted)

Don't want to do that again and thought the airless would work better next time. Thanks for the help guys and gals. Keep it coming I still am confused some what.

Thats the same as what I was talking about only I got a reconditioned one. If you think you need a brand new one you should still compare prices at the Gleem Paint site. I've used them twice, great service.

Kirk

I probably would get a new one at 300.00 but I just wanted some feed back as to if anyone used the base Apex or knew of any reason not too.

Also there are 3 or 4 different guns used with the Apex's and was wondering if the one that came with the base model was ok or needed tossed and up graded.

What did your re-con cost if I may ask?

mud duck I just bought a spray tech 1420 this yr for $300 from lowes and it works fine. I would buy a better srpayer if you plan on spraying every day though. If your just getting your feet wet on spraying it is a good place to start for the $. I still have my campbel hausfeld cheapo sprayer that last about 4 yrs for me before they start to leak hydraulic fluid . I did repair it though and it still works . When a piece of equipment becomes undependable I replace it and repair it for a backup. I can afford a better sprayer but at less than $100 a year to use one of these its well worth the time savings. How are your skills at masking off with plastic ? I have spent 1/2 hour to 1 hr just getting ready to spray for a deck that takes 1hr or less to spray. My first job with my first sprayer I had bid 12 man hours to hand stain and it took my wife and I ...2 hrs each to spray it. good spraying!!!!

Edited by jeffex11

Still sitting on the fence on dropping some coin or start out on the cheap w/ the 300.00 job from Lowes because I need to order the Delevan roof systm too. I'm getting set up with Celeste and Roger on helping with some jobs over the next few weeks and I want to see what their using and how their using it and pick his brain some.

always a good move to be patient. investment in equipment is a decision process that is individual to each business model. sometimes renting a more expensive piece of equipment can give you a real picture of what it can do to save time on a job or produce better results. It helps calculate the return on the investment vs other alternatives

Mudduck,

If you want the low cost, and functionality, build your own "Deckster". I'm still using one I built 4 years ago, and it kicks butt. Cost me about $120 total. Easy to do, and I believe that the plans for it were gleaned from this BBS. Do a search for homemade sprayer and see what comes up. If you can't find anything, PM me and i'll give you the info.