Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Ipe headache

Question

This one job is turning into a real headache.

Quick recap: Conractor built Ipe deck for customer. Contractor then put Cabots Aussie Timber Oil on deck right away. Stain failed within a few weeks. Customer could not get any satisfaction from contractor. Customer calls me. I look at the deck, tell him that I recommend for all new decks to wait at least six months before doing anything. Customer can't stand the way the deck looks and really wants a stain on it. I tell customer I'll do what I can, provide him with qoute, he accepts qoute. I strip all old stain, let dry for a week, sanded and blew off dust, apply and wipe off coat of Wood Tux Wester Red Cedar. Deck looks great, happy with my work. A little under two months later customer calls me, says stain if failing and pictures below are what I see. Question now is; apply another thin coat or strip completely and wait a year. Customer will not be happy, to say the least, with second option. Note: The deck was about 4 months old by the time I came on board.

Please PM or call me (817) 372-3743 if you have any advice. Certain things I won't or can't put on public board.

Thanks.

Edited by Mountain View

5 answers to this question

Pete

Feel free to give me a call at 636-288-8512. Something isn't right from looking at those pictures. For whatever reason the finish didn't take right. Under normal circumstances, it should not look nearly that worn after only a couple months.

I'm sure that we can come up with a solution for your customer.

Pete,

.... Question now is; apply another thin coat or strip completely and wait a year. Customer will not be happy, to say the least, with second option. Note: The deck was about 4 months old by the time I came on board.

You and your customer may not like this. I have become convinced that ipe' needs a year of no stain weathering, at least here in NJ, until any good product will last close to a year.

It is the nature of the wood. So much natural oils, resins, whatever, prevents any oil stains from lasting a while. Let it weather.

The only other option is to strip the bejesus out of it, maybe twice, to try and remove the natural stuff close to the surface.

A year or 10 years of not being treated is not going to do a thing to ipe' aside from making it more acceptable to an oil stain.

The wood is that good.

I respectfully disagree. I believe that all wood should be protected as soon as possible. If for no other reason, it helps to keep environmental contaminants from invading the wood. I have never heard one sound argument for letting the wood "weather naturally".

To me that concept has always been more of an excuse than a solution regardless of the type of wood in question. When it comes to the discerning customer who pays top dollar for an exotic hardwood such as Ipe, letting it "weather" is not a viable option.

Think about the furniture in your home. Do you think those who build the furniture let it sit outside for a year before finishing it? How about a brand new cedar home or log cabin? Is it also best to let them weather for a year before offering the wood some protection? What about the wood handles on your outdoor grill? Do they come to you finished, or as raw wood that you are supposed to let "weather" before you finish them?

If your argument is that Ipe is a hardwood so it is an exception, I would have you look at the wood details on any yacht. These are most often Teak, Ipe or another hardwood species. How many 6 month old yachts do you see cruising around with gray, silver or black wood trim?

With proper surface preparation, the right finish selection and application methods all wood, hard or soft can be successfully protected immediately after installation. Waiting for the wood to come around to your way of doing things is about like sitting in a race car and waiting for the finish line to come to you. It's just not a winning strategy for anyone.

Pete,

You and your customer may not like this. I have become convinced that ipe' needs a year of no stain weathering, at least here in NJ, until any good product will last close to a year.

It is the nature of the wood. So much natural oils, resins, whatever, prevents any oil stains from lasting a while. Let it weather.

The only other option is to strip the bejesus out of it, maybe twice, to try and remove the natural stuff close to the surface.

A year or 10 years of not being treated is not going to do a thing to ipe' aside from making it more acceptable to an oil stain.

The wood is that good.

I am more inclined to agree with Rick. We tell our customers 6 months to a year. If they want it done right away, they should expect the finish to have a shorter life. That is the end result. Teak is another one that wears better if you let it weather.

But, I do get that Russ wants to sell that extra pail.... ;) No harm in that either...

Beth

Number one you where correct. You should of stripped it and came back in 6 months. Now the same thing that happened to the ATO is happening to the WTW. The Ipe has to loose it's color and some of it's extractives for something to enter it. Some people get it and some don't.

I did a deck and waited 6 month( WT) and returned in 6 months and my deck looked like yours but I told them it would look like it did. The longer you wait the better and longer the finish will last.

A fact that is being missed here is the contractor didn't follow the ATO instructions. Which states to wait 8 weeks or so before the application of product and follow up with a recoat in 3 to 6 months. I have not seen the instructions in a while so they might be a bit different.