Sign in to follow this  
FGDave

No Bleach cleaner

Question

Has any one used this?

And any other suggestions for environment friendly cleaners? I have always used 12% chlorine, but would like to appeal to the "green" age thats coming or actually here.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product/350962.htm

Fiberglaze

Restoration & refinishing

Restoring the Carolinas

Charlotte and surrounding areas

704-573-1234

Edited by FGDave

14 answers to this question

It might not have bleach but does that make it green? It could have other toxic chems in it instead. Im dealing with alot of requests for green wood restoration. So far ive been passing them up until get more knowhow.

In the list of specs 4th line down "Biodegradable, water-based formula"

I'd call that green, or environment friendly.

I'm going to give a free wash in my neighborhood to test it out. Have to find a really dirty worst case scenario type of house.

Florin,

For Green wood restoration where cleaning only is need, no removal of old paint or stain a peroxydicarbonate like our SoSafe is the best. It lifts up dirt without harming the finish on the wood and once the carbonate has all been released it is just like water. Think of Alka-Seltzer once the fiz is gone.

Except that it kills the algaes and fungi that pollute our environment. You wouldn't complain about rat poison being used to kill rats, especially if a customer said he wanted you to kill them with high-cholesterol feed instead, because it is a more environmentally friendly method.

In the list of specs 4th line down "Biodegradable, water-based formula"

I'd call that green, or environment friendly.

I'm going to give a free wash in my neighborhood to test it out. Have to find a really dirty worst case scenario type of house.

Here is a link to the MSDS: http://www.northerntool.com/downloads/msds/222161.pdf

It contains at least 1% sodium hydroxide, a caustic stripper we all have used as a degreaser or stripper. This is lye. At least as caustic as 1% sodium hypochlorite, also a water-based solution, but not technically biodegradable since sodium hypochlorite is so unstable that heat and sunlight break it down so fast.

I would remind people that sodium hypochlorite is a very green solution, since it is harmless saltwater in a matter of hours. Plain old hot water is deadly to plant and fungus life, but certainly is green, nobody will claim hot water is eco-unfriendly.

The anti-bleach advertising of some unscrupulous suppliers is an educational hurdle we all must clear in order to use our own best methods and tools. Dom't let your customers dictate your methodology, use tried and true systems, allay their fears in your presentation, and be the profeessional they hired to know better.

If they want to dictate the methods, with homeowner knowledge, why not just use homeowner-grade tools and materials. Which is what this probably is.

This site is populated with a crowd of pros that have refined their methods to a fine point over the last decades, the methods here conmtained are effective, and safe when correctly applied.

Reinventing the wheel isn't the way to go, refining your sales skills to overcome bad info (specifically the idea that there is something ungreen about sodium hypochlorite) is the best choice. Otherwise you willhave to stock every solutionout there, and just ask your customer how they want their house cleaned.

What would you tell a customer that told you he heard that the only way to clean a house safely was to scrub it with a toothbrush, and then to polish it with a dremel tool?

If you do decide to use methods recommended by the customer, at least charge a premium for the service.

Let us know how the test goes, but my instict says you will find this product more expensive and less effective in the long run.

Bleach is used in every house and restuarant in america in some form or another,its used in Hospitals and assisted living facilities its everywhere.I would bet it is used more than almost any other chemical in the world.

The people that question whether to clean their house with it are the same people that drink it and take showers in it.Sodium hypochlorite is electrified salt water basically thats how its made.

Splenda is basically Chlorinated sugar,chlorine is everywhere and will be here for ever.

In the right hands it as a safe and enviromentally friendly tool.

Bleach is used in every house and restuarant in america in some form or another,its used in Hospitals and assisted living facilities its everywhere.I would bet it is used more than almost any other chemical in the world.

The people that question whether to clean their house with it are the same people that drink it and take showers in it.Sodium hypochlorite is electrified salt water basically thats how its made.

Splenda is basically Chlorinated sugar,chlorine is everywhere and will be here for ever.

In the right hands it as a safe and enviromentally friendly tool.

Dentists use it in your mouth to sterilize root canals, and other places where it is essential to be sure there is no recurrent problem with bacteria.

It is on every restaurant table and buffet line in the nation.

Florin,

For Green wood restoration where cleaning only is need, no removal of old paint or stain a peroxydicarbonate like our SoSafe is the best. It lifts up dirt without harming the finish on the wood and once the carbonate has all been released it is just like water. Think of Alka-Seltzer once the fiz is gone.

Whoops!

Beth

Good answers.

For years I have had the same outlook. 10 years ago we looked into "green" cleaners, but fell short of par.

I was hoping they'd come up with something better by now. Because you can charge a premium, and I can sink my hooks into the green revolution.

I am skeptical and believe I'll continue to use good old 12% Nuke.

Customers don't dictate any thing, but the times do. And the times are going green at break neck speeds.

But your right about monster house wash. Its not a green product.

The guy at Northern tool say there are a few contractors that buy it on a regular basis.

I am also betting nothing is better than 12% Nuke on roofs either.

Except that it kills the algaes and fungi that pollute our environment. You wouldn't complain about rat poison being used to kill rats, especially if a customer said he wanted you to kill them with high-cholesterol feed instead, because it is a more environmentally friendly method.

Here is a link to the MSDS: http://www.northerntool.com/downloads/msds/222161.pdf

It contains at least 1% sodium hydroxide, a caustic stripper we all have used as a degreaser or stripper. This is lye. At least as caustic as 1% sodium hypochlorite, also a water-based solution, but not technically biodegradable since sodium hypochlorite is so unstable that heat and sunlight break it down so fast.

Didnt look at the msds but thats what i figured.

I would remind people that sodium hypochlorite is a very green solution, since it is harmless saltwater in a matter of hours. Plain old hot water is deadly to plant and fungus life, but certainly is green, nobody will claim hot water is eco-unfriendly.

The anti-bleach advertising of some unscrupulous suppliers is an educational hurdle we all must clear in order to use our own best methods and tools. Dom't let your customers dictate your methodology, use tried and true systems, allay their fears in your presentation, and be the profeessional they hired to know better.

If they want to dictate the methods, with homeowner knowledge, why not just use homeowner-grade tools and materials. Which is what this probably is.

This site is populated with a crowd of pros that have refined their methods to a fine point over the last decades, the methods here conmtained are effective, and safe when correctly applied.

Reinventing the wheel isn't the way to go, refining your sales skills to overcome bad info (specifically the idea that there is something ungreen about sodium hypochlorite) is the best choice. Otherwise you willhave to stock every solutionout there, and just ask your customer how they want their house cleaned.

What would you tell a customer that told you he heard that the only way to clean a house safely was to scrub it with a toothbrush, and then to polish it with a dremel tool?

If you do decide to use methods recommended by the customer, at least charge a premium for the service.

Let us know how the test goes, but my instict says you will find this product more expensive and less effective in the long run.

GREAT Post Scott, as you point out ANYTHING is "biodegradable", it just depends on how long you have to wait.

Good answers.

For years I have had the same outlook. 10 years ago we looked into "green" cleaners, but fell short of par.

I was hoping they'd come up with something better by now. Because you can charge a premium, and I can sink my hooks into the green revolution.

I am skeptical and believe I'll continue to use good old 12% Nuke.

Customers don't dictate any thing, but the times do. And the times are going green at break neck speeds.

But your right about monster house wash. Its not a green product.

The guy at Northern tool say there are a few contractors that buy it on a regular basis.

I am also betting nothing is better than 12% Nuke on roofs either.

Inform your customers that you buy 'bleach' in 55 gal drums which are reused. 55 one gallon jugs in a landfill plus a little SHc runoff in your yard must be worse than only the latter.