Sign in to follow this  
ezdayman

strang question but I thik a good one!

Question

Ok is there anyway to make cement white again? you know how cement gets old and gray looking? well how come you cant just spray that white paint on old cement " im talking about how they spray that white paint on new cement" does that make since? I was just wondering why you cant reply on old cement or is it cause the new cement is wet? I was just wondering

I hope I made since Cause I feel Like I confused my self :)

18 answers to this question

I wasn't aware they painted new concrete, but then I don't do that type of work. The best way I know to make concrete "white" again is clean it good and then spray it with oxalic.

Jeff

Hit it good with a surface cleaner the pump spray it with oxalic.

Just finished one 30 minutes ago. Looks like new.

you know when the city is laying new curbs or sidewalk they spray this white spray on the cement and thats how they get it white! maybe its a minnesota thing ill try the oxalic.

what they are spraying is cure and seal slows down the curing process makes for harder concrete. the only reason i know that is cuz concrete is what i do. so if anyone has any other questions about concrete them i can answer the pw stuff i am still reading here, so much to learn so little time

JKEVIN: that sounds right its kinda hard to explain when you dont know what the hell it is :) but thanks for the answer, So here is a follow up question. What would happen if you sprayed it on old cement? stupid question but I really have wondered that since I was little.

..the cement part of concrete can come gray or it can come white or you can add any other integral coloring to the mix or broadcast color it with powder when laid.

You can oxalic an old slab to some degree or you can apply an acrylic white stain. That would require real finesse in prep and application to get it to last without top coating with industrial type permenant coatings. One or two real lite mist coats of quartz white will likely last longer than say a heavy dose as it will minimize traffic wear and chipping.

i have never put cure and seal over old concrete just reg sealer so i am not sure what it would do. i would guess it would give it some more of a white color but i am sure it is temp

As near as I can tell, curing seal is a waxy compound that stretches cure time by sealing moisture and heat in during the process.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that it would be pointless to spray it on cured concrete, it would be like buying a pot at a pottery store, and going home to put it in a kiln: That train has already departed the station.

Kevin is right though, color in concrete is really about the shade of the cementous component, the aggregate, and any tinctures included in the mix. Concrete can be stained just like wood is, and there are members here that are experts at it. Jim Carroll and Celeste (CPW) are two that leap to mind.

When I first got started, a customer site was next-door to a concrete outfit that handled jobs from resi to heavy-highway to bridgework, and they had hundreds of empty IBC's they were trying to get rid of.

Unfortunately, they had been filled with curing seal, and the banjo fittings and interiors were caked with wax build-up that I wasn't too hip on trying to remove. That is my total experience with curing seal.

Got a link..would like to see brand and makeup.

Scott, I've been working with and/or taking care of deco acid/acrylic/dye/epoxy/urethane for 20+ years, mostly interior, so feel free to include or refer me when discussing or passing along any crete work. :)

WELL THANKS KEVIN, i thought it was a good question mean hell if you could spray it on after a good wash and make it look new that would be great but it sounds like it would be more like paint...

have a good night!

WELL THANKS KEVIN, i thought it was a good question mean hell if you could spray it on after a good wash and make it look new that would be great but it sounds like it would be more like paint...

have a good night!

I assume your addressing the other Kevin in ref to the cure and seal stuff...but I can tell you that you may be able to get where you want to with a very finely misted stain. Many times I have to do this as a base or a canvas for a slab to be able to give a vibrance to the main color I am to make. Most often though I use a yellow to do this. Check out Smith Stains or again you can try Masons quartz white.. just realize you have to keep things transparent and penetrating.. Good luck :)

Got a link..would like to see brand and makeup.

Scott, I've been working with and/or taking care of deco acid/acrylic/dye/epoxy/urethane for 20+ years, mostly interior, so feel free to include or refer me when discussing or passing along any crete work. :)

Sorry Kevin, I certainly didn't intend to slight anybody I left off my post above.

Jim and Celeste jump to mind quickly because when I was a brand newly minted PWer, and green as a gourd, they were there to gently nudge me back on track more times than either could know.

Anyway, I see you have more than shown up with good info in this thread, and I thank you for the contribution.

You always have something to add

no need to be sorry..I not take as slighting. I don't display everything I do so how could you include me. Just wanted to be on yer mind and onlookers minds in future in case job opportune arrises...lol. not happened yet off these Eastern forums but who knows. Maybe one day a big corp will want me to travel the country upgrading their stores or something. know what I mean?. Half the battle is being seen and but then remembered I'de say. :)