Sign in to follow this  
Apple Roof Cleaning

Should I Buy This ?

Question

Hey guys, I can get a 2003 Ford F 450 extra cab short flat bed for 8000.00

It has 200,000 miles, all highway, know this for a fact.

it is super clean, and a 4 door, white too.

What do ya think, it has a diesel automatic, miles per gallon who knows ?

Gotta decide soon guys, HELP

13 answers to this question

The 2003 6.0 diesel's along with 2004 were problematic with Ford. A lot of people had injector problems and head gaskets and other various issues. Check the history of the truck at a dealer if the injectors and head gaskets have been done. If yes, it would be good, if not, its a matter of time before you get your wallet out.

My 2003 had computer problems, it had to be reprogrammed almost every two months by the dealer, but I did have one of the first ones out. When I sold it, I knew that the head gaskets were shot and I had two faulty injectors, but it was still under warranty so the new buyer had it done.

My 2006 is an absolute dream, wouldn't want anything else.

I did have a F350 so it is a little lighter than the F450 and it is geared differently. I had high speed rear end (3.73) and I was averageing 14mpg city and 19mpg highway. I was chipped and was putting down over 400 HP on the pavement so the linkage at the kneecap would freeze up sometimes and kept the accelerator pedal to the floor, so it could be a little lower than that at times :lgbounces

Dan

Hey guys, I can get a 2003 Ford F 450 extra cab short flat bed for 8000.00

It has 200,000 miles, all highway, know this for a fact.

it is super clean, and a 4 door, white too.

What do ya think, it has a diesel automatic, miles per gallon who knows ?

Gotta decide soon guys, HELP

I would do a little more digging into that one.

The 6.0 weren't nick named the 6 Leaker for nothing. Especially the 2003. It's still a strong engine and may not have ever had any problems, but I would recommend you get an OASIS report on it. It will tell any and all issues that truck had that was addressed through a Ford dealer.

If you have time, I would recommend you stop by Ford Powerstroke Forum There are lots of helpful people over there. Don't be afraid to ask question, we will help you any way we can.

I myself have the new 6.4, so I don't really too much else about the 6.0

I would do a little more digging into that one.

The 6.0 weren't nick named the 6 Leaker for nothing. Especially the 2003. It's still a strong engine and may not have ever had any problems, but I would recommend you get an OASIS report on it. It will tell any and all issues that truck had that was addressed through a Ford dealer.

If you have time, I would recommend you stop by Ford Powerstroke Forum There are lots of helpful people over there. Don't be afraid to ask question, we will help you any way we can.

I myself have the new 6.4, so I don't really too much else about the 6.0

I bought the truck, could not say no for 8500.00.

It is clean as a whistle, and has already gone 200,000 miles!

It has had the head bolt update, NEW Injectors, and EGR bypassed, and many other Mods.

The Turbo was replaced 10,000 miles ago, got all maintenance records.

It hauled Pine Straw on a 5 th wheel set up from Ocala Florida up to Destin and back.

It has highway miles, from a good ole boy who loved his truck.

It was a pre divorce situation, long story!

I will take some pics and post em.

Yes, the Ford Forum is great, many of the suggested mods already done!!!

Congrats on your purchase. If you have any other questions on diesels you can go to various diesel sites.

My favorite is thedieselgarage.com where there are a lot of vendors and lots of gear heads. A lot of information.

There is also thedieselstop.com, you might even find Scott S. from this site over there too. That is where we first got in contact with each other.

Best of luck.

Dan

I bought the truck, could not say no for 8500.00.

It is clean as a whistle, and has already gone 200,000 miles!

It has had the head bolt update, NEW Injectors, and EGR bypassed, and many other Mods.

The Turbo was replaced 10,000 miles ago, got all maintenance records.

It hauled Pine Straw on a 5 th wheel set up from Ocala Florida up to Destin and back.

It has highway miles, from a good ole boy who loved his truck.

It was a pre divorce situation, long story!

I will take some pics and post em.

Yes, the Ford Forum is great, many of the suggested mods already done!!!

Get a dealership to pull the oasis report from the VIN.It will give you everything the dealer as ever done.

The 2003 6.0 diesel's along with 2004 were problematic with Ford. A lot of people had injector problems and head gaskets and other various issues. Check the history of the truck at a dealer if the injectors and head gaskets have been done. If yes, it would be good, if not, its a matter of time before you get your wallet out.

My 2003 had computer problems, it had to be reprogrammed almost every two months by the dealer, but I did have one of the first ones out. When I sold it, I knew that the head gaskets were shot and I had two faulty injectors, but it was still under warranty so the new buyer had it done.

My 2006 is an absolute dream, wouldn't want anything else.

I did have a F350 so it is a little lighter than the F450 and it is geared differently. I had high speed rear end (3.73) and I was averageing 14mpg city and 19mpg highway. I was chipped and was putting down over 400 HP on the pavement so the linkage at the kneecap would freeze up sometimes and kept the accelerator pedal to the floor, so it could be a little lower than that at times :lgbounces

Dan

Same here have an '04 F550 with 5 injectors 2 turbos and the heads replaced in less than 28k. Great trucks for hauling and I love the way they drive. With that many miles the problems would have appeared by now though so you should be ok.