Sign in to follow this  
big mike

Some help please???

OK, my 5.5 gpm hot water skid (honda 20hp, general TS2021 pump) took a dump on me today. I've been working her for the last 3 1/2 weeks at 10-12 hrs per day (at least 8 hrs steady run time). We've been using turbo nozzles and removing paint - yes I'm hurting. This skid is 3 yrs old, and has a fairly new unloader, newer coil, newer flow switch, etc. I am pretty handy, and a licensed engineer to boot, so I've covered the obvious stuff. So while spraying, the pressure will dip real low and back to normal several times, then ultimately the motor dies. Its only doing it under load, and after it warms up. Belts are fine, and there's no water restrictions or flow problems. I've narrowed this down to either a blockage in the fuel system, or maybe my pump is going. I've never had a pump go on me, but since I'm really taxing this unit lately, I think it might be going. I'm going to pull the tank and clean the entire fuel system from tank to carb tomorrow, but if you know its something else, please chime in.

OK, my 5.5 gpm hot water skid (honda 20hp, general TS2021 pump) took a dump on me today. I've been working her for the last 3 1/2 weeks at 10-12 hrs per day (at least 8 hrs steady run time). We've been using turbo nozzles and removing paint - yes I'm hurting. This skid is 3 yrs old, and has a fairly new unloader, newer coil, newer flow switch, etc. I am pretty handy, and a licensed engineer to boot, so I've covered the obvious stuff. So while spraying, the pressure will dip real low and back to normal several times, then ultimately the motor dies. Its only doing it under load, and after it warms up. Belts are fine, and there's no water restrictions or flow problems. I've narrowed this down to either a blockage in the fuel system, or maybe my pump is going. I've never had a pump go on me, but since I'm really taxing this unit lately, I think it might be going. I'm going to pull the tank and clean the entire fuel system from tank to carb tomorrow, but if you know its something else, please chime in.

One more thing, take your gas cap off, the vent may be faulty

When you say pump you mean fuel pump right? There is no reason a failing pressure pump would cause an engine to die. The fuel pump may be going though, or the fuel filter needs replacing.

I had a blockage in my tank that would allow the machine to start and run normal until the blockage would get sucked against the tank outlet, which finally caused the fuel filter to crack from the pump suction. Replaced filter to have it happen again before I realized what caused it to happen.

Also had a bad fuel line from the fuel filter to the fuel pump that got kinked when warm and then choked the fuel supply.

Well, a big THANK YOU to Matt Johnson. Governor spring had come off, and it was hard to get at under the air filter shroud. Couldn't really tell it was off because its a real flimsy spring, and supported by a linkage piece, but close examination proved it. Again, THANK YOU MATT!!! My helper will be real happy not having to use one of the small portables to finish the job. Should finish mid week, next week.

Well, a big THANK YOU to Matt Johnson. Governor spring had come off, and it was hard to get at under the air filter shroud. Couldn't really tell it was off because its a real flimsy spring, and supported by a linkage piece, but close examination proved it. Again, THANK YOU MATT!!! My helper will be real happy not having to use one of the small portables to finish the job. Should finish mid week, next week.

Your welcome Mike.... happy washing

MJ