Sign in to follow this  
Ron Musgraves

trying to get some help??? MOM'S deck

Question

I'm going to refinish a deck, moms deck... maybe i should have a class on doing this for the first time.

I want something easy, Beth what do yuo recomend. I like russels so I guess i'll give them a try. She wants to keep the deck the original color of teh wood.

I guess i should just post my credit card #

lets do it...

I will follow some pictures so you guys knwo whats up.

7 answers to this question

Ron,

Does the deck have a previous finish? What is the condition of it? That makes a difference for us to be able to steer you to the proper product. I have an idea. Fly me down, and I'll help you with it.....:cool:

Tony, it’s never been stained. Its my mothers winter home here in Mesa Arizona.

My father built the deck from redwood 15 years ago. I know they always like the natural red wood look so they never stained it. It’s probably never seen anything other than Thompson water proofing. I remember my father loved Thompson’s.

I don’t know anything about decks; I called Beth today to try to get some of her products. She was busy teaching a class. I want to use her stuff and see if she and Rod and others can walk me thru.

Anyone having advice I thank in advance.

Tony I might fly you out….is that all it will cost or golf too?

Ron,

I don't hit the ball well enough to call it golf. I'm more of a hacker. I'm happy if I shoot a 60 for 9....:)

As for the deck, a nice sodium percarbonate mix ought to do the trick for you, followed by a citric or oxalic acid application.

You didn't mention the square footage. Find out what it is so you'll know how much product you need.

I think Beth will steer you to the EFC38 and Citrollic acid she sells. You probably won't need much, a couple pounds of each, but that's where the s/f comes in.

So it goes like this...... apply the EFC38, you can use a sureflow setup, or a pump-up sprayer. Let it dwell for maybe 5-10 minutes, but keep it wet, the chems go inactive if the wood dries out. Follow Beth's directions for mixing ratios.

I prefer a dual lance with a 40045 tip, adjusted to about 500-600 psi. If you use a straight lance, use the appropriate tip.

Wash the deck in even strokes, going with the grain. Don't stop moving on the boards, to avoid marks and zebra stripes. Same goes for the spindles and railing. I start on the outside of the spindles, and reach what I can, then move onto the deck and do the inside. It will take a lot longer to do typical spindles and railing than it will to do the floor, that's normal.

After everythings clean, you'll apply the acid in the same manner, spray it on, let it dwell for a few minutes, and simply rinse it off. I'm a firm believer in rinsing. I will rinse, rinse again, and when I think it's rinsed enough, I'll rinse one last time.

Let the deck dry for about two days, maybe in AZ it will dry faster, I don't know, but two days is a safe bet if you don't have a moisture meter to measure the moisture content in the wood.

Since it's your first deck, it's probably a safer bet to just brush the railings and roll the floor. Unless you have an airless sprayer, and are proficient with it, that is.

Is the deck in the sun, shade, or a mix of both? The more sun it receives, the more important it is to use a stain with good UV protection. Knowing that your Mom likes the natural look, a good choice may be Ready Seal medium red. On redwood, it enhances the natural colors already present in nice clean wood.

After staining, it's a good idea to keep everything off it, including your mom, for about 48 hours. Although RS penetrates quickly, and can be walked on, it's better to let it dry more before putting deck furniture, planters, etc back on.

I'm sure Beth & Rod can walk you thru the process, but if they are busy, give me a call, I think you have my number.

Good luck.

Ummm.... I thought Ready Seal and redwood didn't get along? Some sealers are not compatible with it and we came across that last year. (before we applied it)

Also for redwood depending on what you apply you may need to apply acetone prior to sealing it.

I agree with Tony where sealing is concerned. Spraying sealer isn't like using a pressure washer. Personally, I think you could use a pump up on the floor, and then backpad. I would suggest doing spindles and rails by hand. (you're shooting sideways otherwise)

Masking up and prep are the key to a clean no mess job. Tarps go down all around the deck, over the plants, etc. Plastic has to be put up on the house to avoid drifting sealer. It's alot like what painters have to do.

Oh yeah, wear clothes and shoes you care nothing about, and put nitrile gloves on or your hands will also be a beautiful color.

Beth & Rod

p.s. Rod was born out on Arizona, me, I've never been there....;)

Readyseal makes a sealer specifically for redwood. Can't recall the name of it though. Redwood? :)

Oh, and Beth....You're missing out on an amazingly beautiful place. Arizona is gorgeous! The geography varies quite a bit, and there is a LOT to look at!

If you ever do go, I'm sure you'll go to the Grand Canyon. When you leave there, head south to Flagstaff and Sedona, and take a drive through Oak Creek Canyon. That is probably the most beautiful part of AZ I have ever seen. I make a point to drive through it every time I head that way. Haven't been there in about 9 months, so I'm due for a trip soon! :)