Sign in to follow this  
jeffex11

customer wants it to take longer

Question

The homeowner called my house to complain that I didn't put the furniture back on the deck after we washed it. Staining was 3 days away. He started out saying he couldn't believe how clean we got the old gazebo and then the real nature of his call emerged. He informed me he thought we had finished early and that we should have put back his stuff. As things went it bacame apparent he was mad it didn't take all day for the price we charged. I took a looong pause before I spoke.... I don't remember bidding on a time frame for washing and staining . I recall you were fine with our price . I told him in 16 yrs of doing this I have never had a problem with a customer being mad about putting back their own furniture. In fact I have little old ladies who have the deck cleared when we get there. He then changed his tune somewhat after I told him I would get in my truck and come down there and put the stuff back if tht was such a deal breaker. This was a big job bid at a good price but I told him I would be glad to settle up with him for what we had done and he could find someone to stain the deck who takes longer. He took a moment of pause this time and started to give us accolades on how clean we got the deck. We showed up Sun. on time and he was a new man. Respectful and happy to se us. 4.5 hrs later we were done and check in hand. His wife was so happy she baked cookies for us and had agrin from ear to ear. As he wrote me the check for the balance he owed he couldn't resist a snidely little comment though. " you don't pay taxes on this I bet". "shure I do " was my comment. "I have insurance as well! He said he couldn't believe how great his deck looked and offered us some drinks for the ride home. I gracioulsy accepted and offered him a thanks and a handshake. I could see a new respect in his eyes for this business and the ability to get things done better and faster than thehomeowner. He still added up on me and hated that I didn' work for $10 an hour.

8 answers to this question

Jeff,

I could see a new respect in his eyes for this business and the ability to get things done better and faster than thehomeowner. He still added up on me and hated that I didn' work for $10 an hour.

Funny story. There are certainly a lot of different types of customers. That is one of the fun and interesting aspects of doing residential work.

Some customers get that envy when they see how fast -vs- their own efforts a pro with methods and techniques can be. We get that a fair amount but they on their own mention this one basic fact.

You are probably right that the customer was a bit envious of the money being paid after doing some simple math in his head and figuring that you were making quite a bit per hour. If you were a lone operator and doing this on the side, your price would probably be much lower than otherwise as a business man with all the expenses that are inherent to it.

Nice job.

Rod!~

I always leave the furniture off the deck. In fact, I insist on leaving it off. Anything contacting the deck could hold moisture, and I want the deck dry - without wet spots. 3 days is not an unreasonable time - though I do let my customers know that the furniture needs to be left off the deck.

Jeff,

Believe it or not, we also get questioned about our speed. #1, we do what we do daily. For 12 years now. Our speed had better be faster then a newer company. Our proceedures are in place. We do almost everything the same every time. Minus the human factor. When a customer questions why we finished anything so quickly, I explain the same info. If they feel they were over charged, I jokeingly tell tell them we could charge by the hr. instead. However it is still the same price! They are paying for our, Quality-Service and our price. Noting less. You could also add that the water tepm, chemicals, humidity, etc. was perfect that day! LOL Thank You.

I noticed a small pressure washer in his garage too. He may be kicking himself for agreeing to pay to have the work done when he saw how easy my wife and I made the job look. No only would he NOT get off the old stain without a chemical such as HD-80 he would take forver as he has a homeowner 6hp powerwasher. I just found it funny that he called under the false pretence that the furniture deal had p'ed him off. A small foot note to this story is the day we showed up to wash the deck he had run his sprinklers all morning and created a swamp around the deck.I called him mon. pm to remind him of our service on thurs. He had what appeared to be hispanic workers installing a new wood floor and tiles on the inside. He obviously looks down his nose at what he views as meanial workers by his lack of respect .You sometimes have to have thick skin as a business owner but in the end the customer was happy and you can see the results. This is NOT a business where we do work a customer can't do, however it is a profession where we can do the job better and faster than most homeowners. Thats what I reminded him what he paid us for!!! Not simply our labor + materials. It took him 2 years to complete the building process himself. I guessing the reason his wife was sooo. happy was WE only took 2 daysto wash and stain it !!!!

Edited by jeffex11